So, continuing with our series, can we garner enough free resources from the web, to allow us to run a more or less canonical Greyhawk campaign? Without resorting to piracy or ebay? Hell yes! Thanks to the many dedicated Greyhawk scholars active on the web, we’re set!
Let’s start with some maps!
The Maps Compilation Index at Greyhawk Online is the only link we need. Go there and be prepared to spend a couple of hours, scarfing everything up! There are certainly other pages with other maps, floating about. But this site has you covered.
Ok, that was easy! Now, what about a Gazetter/Encyclopedia?
This will be easy, too! The Great Library of Greyhawk, a Greyhawk Wiki, will be our main resource, here. The Locations Index page, is a good place to start. The Realms sub-page is here. Here’s the url for the Greyhawk Deities page. From there, just follow the links or type something into the search box. The statistics page, estimates that there are 1,254 pages with content on the wiki. Many of the pages I looked at were illustrated as well. Very pleasing! This comprehensive site, has fulfilled our needs, very well!
So, it’s quite early in our quest and we’ve already pretty much accomplished our mission! But, let’s not stop yet. There’s a whole bunch, of really useful resources available. Let’s look at a few!
More Greyhawk!
The Oerth Journal. 25 issues and counting. History, timelines, locations, gods and more.
Grodog’s Greyhawk site. Greyhawk scholarship, for your reading and gaming pleasure!
Canonfire! has some things for you to check out. Be sure to visit their forums.
Maladin’s Greyhawk is another good site. Be sure to check out this page, for the Encyclopedia Subterranica.
Gord’s Greyhawk, contains material derived from the Gord novels by Gary Gygax.
Help from the Blogosphere.
Joe Bloch of Greyhawk Grognard fame, has some great material for us! Including his Castle of the Mad Archmage megadungeon and maps of the City of Greyhawk!
Grendelwulf from Axe & Hammer has some more Greyhawk Goodness, including work on his herculean task, of bringing us a certain Grey City!
Lord of the Green Dragons, has plenty of material of interest, including the Cold Text File WG4 Series by Scottsz.
All right, that one was too easy!
A hearty thanks to all the awesome gamers, who’ve went the extra mile to give us everything we need to run Greyhawk! If you’ll look to the left, my Greyhawk links section will lead you to a even more, awesome Greyhawk material.
Thanks for the shoutout!
ReplyDeleteThe post is just... saturated with great links... Grodog, Bloch, Canonfire, Grendelwulf...
Could this post be a useful sidebar addition as U.G.'s Greyhawk Hub?
Yep, simply amazing stuff. I bow to you, Lord Mayor of the City of Hawks ;)
ReplyDeleteHowdy Scottsz - I do have the GH links section, on the left. Some sort of Formatting may be in order. :)
ReplyDeleteHowdy Tenkar - Don't bow to me! I'm just the messenger, as it were.:)
I was quite tickled, to find that there really was enough fan made GH material on the web, to allow for someone to run the milieu, straight from those sources. Now, I get to see how far I can push the series. Maps are easy to find, but solid background and encyclopedia/gazetteer material is much sparser.
Maps, history, gods and gazetteer. I've got at least three more worlds in mind, but I haven't checked yet, to see if those basics are available.
Great work! Tremendous post--if there's another Blog Anthology, it should get a nod.
ReplyDelete@James: Tons of campaign material... Tons of modules over at Dragonsfoot...
ReplyDeleteI always wonder how thick a volume it would be if it were all one big printed book...
Hi Zachary! Thanks! If there's another anthology, feel free to nominate me. ;)
ReplyDelete@Scottsz - It would be epic!
Howdy James!
ReplyDeleteThanks for placing me in such good company. Joe Bloch, Alan Grohe, Rob Kuntz, Chris Siren, and the many folks of Canonfire & the Oerth Journal (and a score of other persons I haven't mentioned) have done so much to inspire my own efforts. I am just glad their shoulders are big enough for me to climb up on!
I'll be sorting through some notes for my Gygax Legendarium next month on my blog. It will be "E. Gary Gygax Month" afterall.
The Grey City has hit a snag with a few neighborhood maps not looking quite right, so I have had to rescale. It looks like I will be shooting for the Gygax-scale version rather than a smaller city one-third its size.
Keep the torch lit, your site is a blessing!
@scottsz: It fills many, many binders! SWMBO* has made me get rid of much of my hard copies since I have been putting them on my laptop. But there's something just more satisfying with flipping pages than scrolling, you know?
Ciao!
Grendelwulf
*She Who Must Be Obeyed
Hi Grendelwulf! I must admit, I'm glad you decided to go for the GG sized version. :)
ReplyDeleteGreat linkfest James. I still look over at those maps of Greyhawk on the wall and think "What if.." from time to time! Thanks
ReplyDeleteThanks for the shout-out, James! It's always fun to see that Greyhawk continues to motivate and inspire gamers :D
ReplyDeleteNow if only we could get the Greytalk Archive contents back online, en masse (not that I object to Scott Casper's efforts at all, it's just that there's so much more out there!).
Allan.
@Grendelwulf: Wow! You serve HER, too!
ReplyDelete@Grendelwulf: We are all cultists, and our sacrifices of aging published products keep the Earth in balance!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! This helps a lot!
ReplyDeleteA magnificent collection, to be certain, but there are a few links of my own I would add. My blog contains some relics of the Living Greyhawk campaign, such as the Principality of Naerie Gazetteer (http://nitessine.wordpress.com/2009/07/06/greyhawk-still-alive-the-principality-of-naerie-gazetteer-599-cy/) and a number of modules (http://nitessine.wordpress.com/2010/06/17/greyhawk-modules-online-naerie-endures/). Additionally, on the map side of things, there's Anna Bernemalm's Atlas of Greyhawk project, which, though inactive for some time now, yielded us some items of true beauty (http://ghmaps.net/maps.html).
ReplyDeleteHowdy Atom Kid! Glad to be of Help!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the links nitessine!