I love getting mail! Of late, I've been working on my Judges Guild collection. I blame the blogger formerly known as Bigby's Left Hand! He sold me a copy of the Revised City-State.of the Invincible Overlord. Then, I just had to order The Wilderlands of High Fantasy from Noble Knight, as well as a few other choice items.
Which brings me to Different Worlds Publications. Different Worlds have a few new Judges Guild items left for sale. All at cover price. Including the Ready Ref Sheets. $2.99. Which, I received in the mail today, along with Shield Maidens of Sea Rune! Best $2.99 I've ever spent! Some relatively minor shelf wear, which is to be expected, considering how long this has been in storage. Overall, though, a sharp copy!
I am doing the Happy Dance!
You've no doubt came across many references to this book, while tooling around different OSR blogs. It's kind of like a condensed DMG, in booklet form for OD&D. 56 pages filled with lots of random tables, encounter tables, monster stat blocks, attack & saving throw charts, construction costs, etc. If you don't have a copy and want to see what it's all about, or just want a new/back-up copy, the DWP price beats the hell out of anything you'll find on ebay! Especially for a new copy! I placed another order with DW today and went ahead and ordered me a second copy of the Ready Ref Sheets while I was at it. At $2.99, it's well worth getting a second copy of something I plan on using the hell out of!

Ready Ref sheets is one of the best resources out there. Especially for the price. It also goes well with Kellri's (free) netbook, which is somewhat similar but not quite as outlandish. The outlandishness is what gives the RRS so much power, of course, but its strength can also be its weakness depending on how your creativity happens to be ticking right at that moment.
ReplyDeleteLove Kellri's CDD 4! Every time I pull it off my shelf (ChicagoWiz had the right of it, you've got to print it out to truly appreciate it) I wonder why, oh why, TSR didn't publish something like it.
ReplyDeleteA fellow named Mythmere, put out two volumes of his Design Desktop series, which is soon to be published in one volume with all four (I think) parts. Based on the first two volumes, I would add this work to this short list we're compiling, of "Damn Awesome Must Have Gaming Aids!"
Everyone needs a copy of RRS. At the price being charged, there's no reason why anyone without the RRS should not be knocking down Tadashi's door to buy a copy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the link to DW. Just ordered a bundle of JG titles to add to my library. The cost of shipping to the UK was also surprisingly reasonable.
ReplyDeleteAh, yeah...I've been seeing these at various Half Price Books, sometimes for a collectible price, some times for much less. I think I pad a buck or two for it at one where I found it on a Clearance shelf, which I guess is kind of an obnoxious happy dance on my part. Don't hate me.
ReplyDeleteDWP is awesome. I recently ordered a ton of Thieves' Guild stuff from them and also picked up a spare copy of RRS. Best deal on the web!
ReplyDeleteNice find! Just ordered the Ready Ref Sheets and Castle Book II. These will be handy in my new C&C Wilderlands game.
ReplyDeleteExcellent - I used the Ready Ref Sheets as game in itself last week, it's amazing what you can extrapolate from it, beyond the rules and tables.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the info and linkage, James.
ReplyDeleteYes, this is not just an excellent resource, but really affordable too. You could almost run OD&D out of it - it has most of the essential rules, including attack matrices and the full monster list. It has some unexplored corners, like their random plantlife charts - I never got any mileage out of that, although maybe I should have.
ReplyDeleteJames ! Everyone! check this out - one of the Redbox guys has compiled the JG tables into a Wilderness Hexploration document - Mint!
ReplyDeletehttp://redbox.wikidot.com/forum/t-386081/jg-tables