The Miscellaneum of Cinder by Jeff Rients. Illustrations by Patrick Wheeler. A Retro-Stupid Production. Available in Print from Lulu for $5.50. In PDF for $1.00. This review is based on the PDF, which runs 36 pages.
“A book of random dice charts for the kind of referee who likes lots of random dice charts. Broadly compatible with most games involving deadly underworld environs and magical flying dinosaurs with acute halitosis. Dice sold separately.”
Not too long ago, I was checking out the Old-School Renaissance Publishing Group, on Lulu, when I noticed a store called Retro-Stupid Productions.
“Huh? What’s this?” I clicked the link and lo and behold, the store belonged to none other than the Master of Awesome, Jeff Rients! One lone book, sits waiting for your cash in this store. The Miscellaneum of Cinder! Upon seeing that the pdf was only a buck, I wasted no time in popping it into my virtual cart, as I chortled with glee at my extreme good fortune in discovering such a treasure!
On the extremely off chance, that you’re unfamiliar with Jeff’s Gameblog, I would suggest reading this post. If that doesn’t convince you to shell out at least a buck, I doubt anything I have to say will. But, just in case, I’ll go down on record as stating that the Miscellaneum is a most awesome, droll, useful and down-right Stupid collection of Random Tables. Cinder is Mr. Rient’s campaign world and tables like The Loathsome Toad Gods, give us a glimpse into what must be a hell of a ride!
In this humble reviewer’s opinion, the supreme masterpiece of the work, is the Carousing table. Every DM has heard some variation of the whine:
“Come on! I’m only a hundred X.P. away! Can’t I go kill a halfling farmer, or something?”
At last, there’s a palatable solution to this problem! One which will satisfy the players and greatly amuse the DM, to boot! Sheer genius and alone worth the 100 pennies, you’ll have to spend to get the cheap version.
Some of these tables have appeared elsewhere. Fight On!, the author’s blog, who knows where else. Don’t let that deter you! Buy Jeff part of a beer, a tiny percentage of a gaming supplement, or whatever else he can get for the pittance he’s asking for this book. It’s well worth your time and your game can probably use some more Stupid!
![[cover thumbnail]](http://static.lulu.com/items/volume_65/7023000/7023638/2/preview/320_7023638.jpg?7023638-1244946124)

Agreed.
ReplyDeleteThe Miscellaneum of Cinder is the only OSR product I always keep handy when I run D&D.
I just got around to buying this a couple days ago. It is chock-full of WOOOO Factor! And I agree, that carousing table is worth its weight in halfling houris. Love it!
ReplyDeleteIt's like some kind of Pythonesque D&D supplement but with actual utility. Also recommended!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the nice review, James! And thanks to everyone else for the equally supportive comments!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the Miscellaneum! :)
ReplyDelete