Friday, August 27, 2010

Into The Forgotten Realms

Several years ago, I found myself out of work for an extended period of time. To ease that particular pain, I sold some stuff on ebay. Including, quite a large chunk of my gaming collection. Some of what I sold off I didn't miss at all and in truth, a small purge would have been a good thing. But, there were a few items, which I regretted parting with. Including the 1987 Forgotten Realms Grey Box.

Thanks to Ebay, I was able to rectify that and my "new" Grey Box came in the mail today! It's in decent shape, though it's seen some play and there are a few wear slits in the corner folds of the maps. My original set came with two of the clear hex overlay thingies and this one only has one. Otherwise, it's complete, including advert inserts. No markings in the books or on the maps. The box is in decent shape, with some general shelf wear, but no splits or anything. Cool!

Way back when, I had a few of the early Realms products and read some of the novels. I initially bought the Grey Box when it was first released, loved reading it and thought highly of Mr. Greenwood's setting.

Though it was a few years after their initial release, I read R. A. Salvatore's Icewind Dale trilogy, Dark Elf Trilogy and the first three books in the series that came after that one. I enjoyed them and still think that Mr. Salvatore tells a good story. He also writes melee scenes, very well! But at that point I was kind of burnt out on Drizzt and stopped. I've yet to read another Drizzt tale.

My ceasing to keep up with Drizzt's adventures, had nothing to do with all the "Drizzt Hatred," flying around the internet, over the years. While I got online fairly early, it was quite some time before I investigated the online gaming scene. I was very busy with other pursuits and had little to do with conventions, the local Game Store, etc. I also never played 2e and bought very few gaming products in the 90's. It was several years, before I saw just how bloated the Realms had become and while it's true that my gaming was a bit sporadic during that period, I never once had a player roll-up a Drow Ranger. So, my fond memories of the early books of Mr. Salvatore's series, are untainted by annoying, angsty Drizzt Clones. Just as my memories of the Forgotten Realms themselves, of the Grey Box and those early Realms supplements, are blissfully free of poisonous feelings or cynicism of any kind.

I did buy the Forgotten Realms Adventures Hardcover. I still have it. It escaped being sold by virtue of being dilapidated. The "Time of Troubles," thing, kind of annoyed me. I liked the Cities of the Heartlands section and must have read that chapter about a hundred times, over the years.

I bought the 3e Realms book and three of the then new supplements. Elminster, looks rather buff, for a gazillion year old geezer. I like the picture on the right, much better.

When WotC put out the 4e Realms, well, I think Michael Curtis Said it Best.

I'd love to see an Old School Realms revival. As I wrote not too long ago, there aren't many Realms sites out there, anymore. I'd like to see that change and it would be even sweeter, if those new sites were based on the 1987 Grey Box.

My re-aquisition of the Grey Box wasn't merely to rectify my earlier mistake. I've never run a published setting and I think I might learn a thing or two by doing so. So, with all that being said, I'm going to run the Forgotten Realms. While I might still decide to go with AD&D, LL/AEC should work just fine. (I finally teased out what was bugging me about that.)

I have the Grey Box, FR1- Waterdeep and the North and some 1e Dragon Magazine material. I want to pick up the City System off of Ebay and I might hunt up a few other early items from the FR series. If there's anything I should be sure not to miss, let me know. I'm starting the campaign in whatever year it is the Grey Box starts and will be sure to deviate from "Canon," from there. :)

11 comments:

  1. I loved that version of the Realms. I had a borrowed copy that I read the hell out of. I love all the details in the booklets. Such a great setting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christian! I'm looking forward to re-reading it, myself.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FR5, The Savage Frontier is cool. But, it'd better be since it's written by Paul Jaquays.

    I don't think it's a good fit for the magic rich D&D or the Realms, but it's a nice (and here I hesitate to use the word...) "sandbox" setting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, before the 2E, FR was actually kewl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The realms grey box was my main campaign throughout high school - I still have all the maps and booklets although the box itself was crushed during the high skool years :)

    I used to run two campaigns at the same time, one focused around Waterdeep/Undermountain dungeon crawl with forays out into the wilderness and another campaign focused on the dalelands and Cormyr.

    I'm planning on writing a post about The Haunted Halls of Eveningstar sometime soon. It was a really good introductory adventure and I used to use it as a starting base for a lot of adventuring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still love the early Realms... just look at the cover paintings by Parkinson on that box (and the book inside) and tell me that doesn't look like a cool, maybe even grim or Sword & Sorcery-ish, setting for D&D.

    Back in the day my friends and I had access to the Grey Box set, the City System, Waterdeep and the North, and the Savage Frontier. That was it. We added the FR Adventures book when it came out, not because we used the Time of Troubles stuff, but because we liked the specialty priest writeups and the detailed city maps.

    Add to that our fantasy background of Savage Sword of Conan comics (hadn't read Tolkien yet!) and you can imagine our Realms campaign was not like TSR's version. We never even read the novels, so couldn't care less about those "major characters."

    And the nice thing about the original set - it was more about the information on the world than the mechanics of the rules. You could use this version of the Realms with any system, and it's be all you need to root your game, and then build off it in your own way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greenwood and Grubb had such a profound impact on my design methods and I owe them both a sincere debt of gratitude. Although I owned the Greyhawk boxed set and the Dragonlance modules & hardback supplement, it wasn't until I got my hands on the Realms grey box that I finally "got" world building. The campaigns that I ran in the late 80s taught me how to breathe life into a setting, and I doubt I'll ever have adventures around the table like I did with that group of friends during that time.

    I own three copies of the grey box, if that's any indication of how deeply affected I was by the set and why I still remain very protective of the original Realms (as I demonstrated in the link to my blog above). One is my original set from '87, another is a mint condition one that I keep for nostaligia and on the off-chance the existing copies out there ever become scarse. The last set is a recent purchase and is a "beater copy" that I can footnote, highlight, and deconstruct while building another Forgotten Realms campaign.

    Yup, I'm still looking at getting a side campaign up and running in the Realms if I can find the right group of players for it. It takes a very special selection of players for me to walk through the Realms with and I won't run that campaign until I can find at least a few who I'm comfortable taking there. I remain hopeful that, with my Labyrinth Lord group continuing to grow, I'll eventually get the right mix together to return there.

    As for supplements, I too recommend The Savage Frontier by Jaquays (I own three copies of that too). You can always download the PDF from the WotC site--check my post from a few weeks back for the link. I'd also recommend Ruins of Undermountain. Not necessarily to run it, but just because it's a great, great megadungeon in its own right.

    The Volo guidebooks are fun reads, since they're written by Greenwood but they color in too much of the canvas for my taste to actually use. I'd lastly recommend Haunted Halls of Eveningstar just to see Greenwood's "starter town & dungeon."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool! Thanks for comments and recommendations, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm playing two campaigns in the FR right now. One is "Ruins of Adventure", playing in Phlan in the Moonsea region. My absolute favorite of Faerun.
    The second is the "Night Below" campaign which I set near the city of Kurth in the Vast, not too far away from Mulmaster. Yeah, next to the moonsea again.
    Actually I like the Times of Troubles - at least the ascent of Cyric. There's alot political intrigue between orthodox Banites and reformist Cyricists going on short after the godswar and it gives Mulmaster more power vs it's adversery Zhentil Keep. This is why I set up both campagins roughly 1 year after the ToT.

    I have to agree that I'm no fand of many things that happened afterwards: the multiplication of Chosens of Mystra, the raise of Kelemvor, the union of the Silver Marches, the Tuigan Horde, Maztica, etc. But there are other interesting things happening, too: rhe reunification of Tethyr, the fraction of the Harpers, the marriage between the High Blade of Mulmaster and a Thay pricess, etc.

    I noticed the absent of realms sites on the web some months ago, too. I would love to see this change to the better again, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I'm ramping up a play-by-chat campaign using the Realms (albeit in an "alternate" or "parallel" universe, so I can meddle all I want with the timeline and basically let players know that this isn't the Realms they know!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Cyric and Drance! I've gotta start checking my comments on older posts. I keep missing stuff!

    ReplyDelete