Vancian Spellcasting
Clerics, Druids and Magic-users may cast spells. Clerics and Druids pray for their spells, receiving them from the powers which they serve, thus having the spell formula imprinted within their mind. For the Magic-user, the arcane formula and instructions are inscribed into Spellbooks, from which he chooses and memorizes the spells he wishes to hold within his consciousness.The act of memorizing these spells (or receiving them, in the case of Clerics and Druids,) merges the spell-casters awareness with energies and intelligences which exist in other planes of existence. These highly charged and aware eldritch forces are shaped and focused, melding into aspects of the spell-casters own consciousness and becoming part of his psyche. When casting a spell, the Cleric, Druid or Magic-user calls forth, channels and releases the energy, generated and shaped by this psychic synergy.
This disengages the mind of the caster from the source of the spells power and removes the charge within his awareness. As his mind is no longer acting with and within those alien planes, all memory of the spell is removed from the Magic-users mind. This is similar to the way a dream will sometimes fade as the sleeper becomes more awake. The effect is much more pronounced, as the Magic-user is dealing with planes of consciousness, far more foreign to the human mind than dream reality. Also, it should be emphasized, that part of the awareness with which he memorized the spell, came from those alien psychic environs. The spell is then gone and must be re-memorized, before it may be used again.

You should read the first Dying Earth book post-haste.
ReplyDeleteI like it. A long time ago I read an post on Usenet where an author also suggested that seasons, time of day, spellcaster mood, gender and so on all introduced variables in a spell's formula that had to be taken into account before a spell could be memorized.
ReplyDeleteI also like that illustration from the Bone Hill module. I ran it back in high school and had a fine time. Lots and lots of undead.
I am also a late bloomer when it comes to Vance. I read Planet of Adventure about 20 years ago, which I barely remember. Recently, I've read the first 2 Dying Earth books, The Green Pearl, and am currently reading Araminta Station. Each feel completely different from the others, and I highly recommend all of them without reservation. He's an incredible story teller and I think you'll be very pleased when you get around to reading his works.
ReplyDeleteIf I can wrap up a few projects I can make some time. I haven't read a novel in months.
ReplyDeleteYes, I just read Vance's Dying Earth for the first time this year and it was quite fun reading the beginning of the Vancian magic system used in D&D. Definitely take some time to check it out. Looking forward to reading your Players Handbook in it's entirety.
ReplyDeleteI've been playing D&D for 30 years and I still haven't read Vance. It's been on my 'to read' list for ages, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
ReplyDeleteVery good imagery. I like how you drawn together Vancian magic with other planar/dimensional powers and psyches. Magic should be nebulous in D&D as there are various streams of it (clerical, druidic, arcane etc) and the idea that they draw from similar but different sources and are shaped and colored by the users own psyche is a useful concept that players can latch on to.
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain on the houserules turned mini players handbook- that's how the Aremorican Addendum started. Decided to make demihumans into human classes, then split the cleric into magical-robed and warrior-priest, and then I was like "Hey, might as well keep going."
ReplyDeleteNothing wrong with adding your own handbook into the mix. I'd look forwards to reading it when it comes out, especially since it cleaves closer to "traditional" D&D than mine does.
The hardest part is trying not to turn it into AD&D. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I could have written my houserules and clarifications for AD&D in 3 pages, or so. As opposed to the 40 page document I've got now.
ReplyDeleteI love that pic with the. Reminds me of 70's Doctor Strange. Where is it from?
ReplyDeleteIt's from L1 - The Secret of Bone Hill an AD&D Module.
ReplyDeleteI agree, the Bone Hill artwork is awesome!
ReplyDelete