Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Update on my Father's Health

Thank you to everyone who's asked after my father and expressed concern and well wishes, over the past few weeks. I wanted to let you guys know about the current state of affairs.

We had high hopes about the surgery, which was scheduled for yesterday. After the doctor's were able to work around the blockage, caused by the pancreatic cancer, my dad dramatically improved. He's been physically healthier and more alert mentally, than I've seen him in months.

Sadly, as the procedure began yesterday, the surgeons initial incision precipitated a heart attack, shutting the surgery down. Things could have been much worse. As Dr. Christein said, if the heart attack had happened in the middle of the procedure, it would have been all over.

My father is doing well and is out of SICU. He'll probably get to come home Saturday. Heart Attacks seem to be regarded as fairly routine, nowadays. Surgery is now off the table and we will most likely be proceeding with Radiation treatments.

21 comments:

  1. Hi James,

    I was just thinking about your dad and coming on to see how he was doing, and this post was here. Tim and I wish your family success with the radiation treatments.

    -Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  2. James,

    I am just now learning of your father's condition. This is terrible news. My heart goes out to him, you and your family. Take care, man.

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  3. James, sorry to hear that they had cancel the procedure, but I'm glad your dad pulled through. We do have much better treatments for heart attacks than even ten years ago.

    Pancreatic cancer is a bad disease. I hope he's getting really good care. If you guys are dealing with UAB oncology, I think they have a good reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will keep you and your dad in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Much sympathy, James. My father had a similar experience when they did surgery to remove throat cancer - a 'coronary event'.

    Thank you for taking the time to keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Major prayers to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You & your family are still in our prayers.
    Keep your faith.

    Ciao,
    Gaetano

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best wishes for your dad, brother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you, everyone. Your kind thoughts mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Do you know that Pilates exercise method can give you a leaner, stronger, healthier body? This technique of workout is flexible and pain-free. With Pilates workout you can see and feel a difference in you within just a few weeks. Believe it! I am saying this from my experience with this site. Go ahead and join their Pilates At Home | Pilates exercise program session and get a great body in such a less time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mornin' James. Having my coffee before I dash off. Thought of your dad when I woke. Hope all is well today.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about your father. I hope that all goes well and he beats this thing. Your blog is one of my favorites, and I hope it and your dad will be around for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Best wishes regarding your father's health.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He's hanging in there. They let him sit in a chair today. Thanks again, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. James---

    It's good to hear that things are, while not ideal, better, and that your father's in good spirits and improving health!

    Allan.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Been there with my own father (cancer and treatment), my best thoughts are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi grodog & Jay - Thanks! Hopefully, he'll get to come home in a few days.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi James -- Hope your dad is home by now and that you guys are all having a nice Halloween. Happy Oogie Boogie Day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Happy Whisk! He's home and resting. Happy Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi James just wanted to drop you a line and hope your father is doing well. Glad to hear he is home.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Tim told me Dad was home and resting. Wonderful news. Very very cool.

    Now ... time to reheat pizza and watch scary movies.

    -Ivy

    ReplyDelete