I'm doing some market research.
If you've got the time, could you give me a quick list of your top 10 favorite OSR products? Not counting rule-sets? For pay or free.
It's ok to list less than 10, if you would prefer.
Either a blog post, or leaving info in the comments here would be fine, though I would appreciate it if you dropped a quick comment to let me know you're making a post of it. Just to make sure I don't miss anything.
Thanks a million!

1. Vornheim
ReplyDelete2. Spire of Iron and Crystal
3. The Dungeon Alphabet
4. Death Frost Doom
5. One-Page Dungeon Contests (treating these as one "item")
I tend to buy and regard modules and mega dungeons that break creative new ground, and well done tool kits that improve running different aspects of the game (like Vornheim, or the Dungeon Alphabet).
ReplyDeleteExamples of adventures I've greatly enjoyed: the LOTFP stuff, Spire of Iron and Glass, StoneHell, Anomalous Subsurface Environment.
In no particular order, my top 10 OSR non-rule-set selection of the moment:
ReplyDeleteDeath Frost doom
Nod magazine by John M. stater
Fight On! Fanzine published by Ignatius Ümlaut
Realms of Crawling Chaos from Goblin Games
Dungeon Alphabet
Wilderness Alphabet
Exquisite Corpses
Varlets and Vermin
Swords and Wizardry monstrous compendium
Tome of Horrors Complete (S&W version)
I think I've onlhy really used three things. I love the Old School Encounter Reference and dipped into it pretty good in my last campaign (Night Below). I used S&W White Box as a reference in some old school D&D games I ran sporadically the last year or two. And I did several sessions of a Metamorphosis Alpha setting using Mutant Future, but by the end I regretted not just using the original MA rules for that.
ReplyDeleteI'm kind of attracted to LOTFP and Carcosa, but there are so many other games I want to do on the horizon for the group (Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, maybe Oriental Adventures) I probably won't get to them.
In no particular order:
ReplyDelete1) Dungeon Alphabet
2) Random Esoteric Creature Generator
3) Carcosa
4) Swords & Magic: Adventures on Fomalhaut RPG
5) the Dragonsfoot 'campaign journals' section, with bookmarks on Melan's campaign, Terry's campaign and others
7) The First Fantasy Campaign by Arneson (yeah, I know it's not really an 'osr' product, but this is the kind of thing I like)
8) Archive of the Rotted Moon blog (stories from stonehell, campaign details, etc.; great fun)
9) Realms of Crawling Chaos
10) All the other blogs
There are other things, but these spring to mind first.
In no definite order, and I'll just name vague categories for a few things because it's too difficult to pick out the very best quickly. There is probably some free stuff out there that would belong on this list, but those are more difficult to remember and I don't know them as well.
ReplyDeleteAnomalous Subsurface Environment
Vornheim
Carcosa
Ursined, Sealed & Delivered
Dyson's Delve
Castle of the Mad Archmage
The best Raggi module
The best Matt Finch module
The best Advanced Adventures module
Fight On
I haven't seen the Cursed Chateau, so don't know how it would rank here. I also suspect that the completed Inferno (the Judge's Guild module) will get on the list once it's published.
I probably rely on blogs more than "products."
ReplyDeleteThings I've actually used:
One page dungeons from the constests
Dungeon alphabet
Vornheim
Realms of crawling chaos
Old School Encounter Reference
Things I have not actually used but like a lot:
Majestic Wilderlands
Blackmarsh
In no particular order: AD&D DM's Guide, AD&D Players Guide, OA1 Sword of the Daimyo, Treasure Hunt Module, In Search of Treasure Module, Pod-Caverns of the Sinister Shroom, Rune Quest Ninja, Temple of Elemental Evil, Ruins of Castle Greyhawk, WFRP Eneamy Within Campaign
ReplyDeleteforgot to add:
ReplyDeleteused:
Tricks, traps and empty rooms
not used:
Exquisite corpses
There must be other things I *would* like but have not bought/downloaded/etc.
Swords & Wizardry Monster Compendium
ReplyDeleteAnomalous Subsurface Environment
Random Esoteric Creature Generator
Savage Swords of Athanor
Majestic Wilderlands
Fight On! magazine
Knockspell magazine
Dungeon Alphabet
One Page Dungeon entries
Pocket Full of Peril series
Fight on!
ReplyDeleteDungeon alphabet/Stonehell
Any of Melan’s adventures
Nod
Anomalous Subsurface Environment
Vornheim
One page dungeons (but maybe I’m a little biased)
Old School Encounter Reference
1. Dungeon Alphabet
ReplyDelete2. CDD4: Old School Encounter Reference
3. Links to Wisdom wiki
4. DungeonWords/WilderWords/WestWords (d30)
5. One Page Dungeon Codex 2009
6. Labyrinth Lord/Mutant Future/Terminal Space
7. OSRIC
8. Engines & Entropy (LL Steampunk)
9. Geomorphs (Kellri/dysonlogos/netherwerks).
10. Old School Hack
Barely scratching the surface here...
1. Anomalous Subsurface Environment
ReplyDelete2. Fight On
3. Dungeon Alphabet
4. Vornheim
5. Death Frost Doom
6. Kellri's Encounters Netbook
7. Miscellaneum of Cinder
8. Carcosa
9. Jason Vey's Age of Conan & Secrets of Acheron
10. The Land of Nod magazine
11. Realms of Crawling Chaos
12. Planet Eris house rules
Sorry, couldn't keep it to 10! All of the above have been used in some form or fashion AT THE GAMING TABLE!
Also in no particular order:
ReplyDelete1. Carcosa by Geoffrey McKinney
2. Points of Light by Robert Conley
3. Lesserton and Mor by Faster Monkey Games
4. The One Page Dungeon Codex 2009 (and annual Competition results)
5. Fight On!
6. The Phoenix Barony by David Bezio
7. The Dismal Depths by Dave "Sham" Bowman
8. The People of the Pit by Alphonso Warden
9. The Dungeon Alphabet by Michael Curtis
10. "Her Dark Majesty" trilogy of modules by John A. Turcotte and published by Dragonsfoot:
- DF18 Where the Fallen Jarls Sleep
- DF21 Beneath Black Towen
- DF24 Stormcrows Gather
I mostly use stuff from blogs. Besides that, roughly in order of the amount of actual use I've gotten out of them:
ReplyDeleteVornheim
One Page Dungeon Contest
Tricks, Empty Rooms & Basic Trap Design
City Encounters
Dungeon Alphabet
If we're counting official products, then the AD&D DMG, MM, MM2 and FF, all topping the above list.
I'm most likely to buy toolkits or sets of tables/encounters/seed ideas. I'm least likely to buy adventures (because I never find the opportunity to run them) and monster supplements (because I've never found any nearly as useful to me as those three AD&D books).
Vornheim
ReplyDeleteRandom Esoteric Creature Generator
Dungeon Alphabet
Carcosa
...my own Flavors of Fear pdf ;)
Of things that I actually own:
ReplyDeleteOriginal Edition Delta: Book of War
Savage Swords of Athanor (and here I should point out that I am deeply in love with Swords & Wizardry Whitebox)
Castle of the Mad Archmage (and The Mad Demigod's Castle)
Fight On! magazine (and Oubliette, and Encounter, and OD&Dities, and so on; really, all the magazines/fanzines)
Dungeon Alphabet
Blackmarsh
Every supplement for Stars Without Number
My list: http://darjanix.blogspot.com/2011/11/underdark-gazette-asks-what-your.html
ReplyDelete-Challenge of the Frog Idol
ReplyDelete-Carcosa
-I am going to say "Miscellaneum of Cinder" though it's sort of just a stand-in for all of Jeff's tables he's ever posted
-Death Frost Doom
-Land of Nod (the free ones are the only ones I've had time to check out)
-"Tricks, Empty Rooms, and Basic Trap Design" by C
-Links of wisdom wiki
I know I've forgot some stuff but I'm in a hurry...if i remember i'll post more later
Unordered, with some notes:
ReplyDelete- Anomalous Subsurface Environment (best gonzo supplement)
- Fight On! (probably most useful pound for pound)
- Vornheim (how to do a book of tools and techniques)
- Small But Vicious Dog (best house rules document I've seen so far)
- Tower of the Stargazer (awesome nonlinear minidungeon)
- A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming (best to give newbies, good first principles)
- Labyrinth Lord (no-art free version good for recruiting)
- Mines of Khunmar (perhaps best dungeon map)
- One-page Dungeon Codex (volume of adventure ideas is amazing)
- LotFP Grindhouse Edition (tweak assumptions, keep essence)
Honorable mentions (haven't gotten a chance to use them enough yet):
- Tome of Adventure Design
- Under Xylarthen's Tower (Rients)
- Realms of Crawling Chaos (crunch done well)
Vornheim
ReplyDeleteOne Page Dungeon compilations
Tome of Horrors Complete
Land of Nod
various zines
blogs
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteNot in any particular order:
ReplyDelete1. Vornheim
2. Barrataria Games Companion Expansion
3. Dragons At Dawn (D.H. Boggs)
4. Realms of Crawling Chaos
5. Ruins & Ronin
6. One Page Dungeon Codex
7. Footprints
8. A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming
9. Kiss of the Frog God
10. Hill Cantons Compendium
1. Anomalous Subsurface Environment
ReplyDelete2. Vornheim
3. The Dungeon Alphabet
4. The Land of Nod
5. Hill Cantons Compendium
6. One Page Dungeon Contest
7. The Miscellaneum of Cinder
8. Fight On!
9. Small But Vicious Dog
10. Random Esoteric Creature Generator
Not in any particular order:
ReplyDelete1. Bottle City (Rob Kuntz)
2. Fight On!
3. Castle of the Mad Archmage (Joe Bloch)
4. Spire of Iron and Crystal (Matt Finch)
5. The Thing in the Valley (Bill Barsh)
6. Stonehell Dungeon (Michael Curtis)
7. Outpost on the Edge of the Far Reaches (Paul Fini)
8. Land of Nod
9. Where the Fallen Jarls Sleep (John Turcotte)
10. Under Xylatharns Tower (Jeff Reints)
I'm not sure if you could consider it OSR or not, but Castle Zagyg would get an honorable mention.
In no particular order:
ReplyDeleteLabryinth Lord
OSRIC
Stone Hell
Fight On
Red Tide
Dungeon Alphabet (If it counts)
Anom. Sub. Environment (ASE1)
Vornheim
LOTFP
Death Frost Doom
Oops I listed rules set. Instead replace them with
ReplyDeleteTricks, Empty Rooms & Basic Trap Design
Caverns of the Sinister Shroom
What comes to mind (although I don't tend to buy many products):
ReplyDeleteFight On
Carcosa
Anomalous Subsurface Environment
Stonehell
Death Frost Doom
Eldritch Weirdness Compilation
Realms of Crawling Chaos
Interesting question for me, as I run Pathfinder with an old school vibe. So, what did I actually use?
ReplyDeleteVornheim
Starting equipment from Jeff's blog
Tome of Horrors Complete (Does the Pathfinder version count?)
Dave's Geomorph Mapper
Tome of Adventure Design
Hirelings from Dark Dungeons (Modified)
BX Headgear tables (Modified)
And I plan on using Death Frost Doom, Stargazer's Tower and countless OPDs.
No particular order:
ReplyDeleteStonehell Dungeon
Swords & Wizardry Core Rules
Swords & Wizardry Complete Rules
Swords & Wizardry Monster Compendium
Labyrinth Lord
Points of Light by Robert Conley
Blackmarsh by Robert Conley
Expeditious Retreat Press (all old school modules)
Goodman Games (all old school modules)
P.S. Sorry, I am now re-reading what you asked for, and I listed some rules sets! It's really early here...well, ignore S&W and LL and there's my list!
ReplyDeleteFight On!
ReplyDeleteOubliette Fanzine
Vornheim
Death Frost Doom
Hammers of the God
The Grinding Gear
Stonehell
Dungeon Alphabet
Knowledge Illuminates
Fire in the Jungle
Anomalous Subsurface Environment
Wilderness Alphabet
Labyrinth Lord/AEC
ReplyDeleteOne Page Dungeon
Stonehell
Dungeon Alphabet
Fight On!
Castle of the Mad Archmage
Old School Encounter Reference
A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming
I haven't read that much stuff, but a few things have been really good and useful. In no alphabetical order:
ReplyDeleteDungeon Alphabet
Stonehell
Vornheim
1. CARCOSA
ReplyDelete2. Asteroid-1618 (Encounter Critical adventure from Jeff Rients)
3. Fight On! (mostly for the adventures)
4. Beyond the Black Gate compendium(s)
5. NOD
I use a ton off the blogs as well. In no particular order:
ReplyDeleteVornheim
Old School Encounters Reference (Kelri)
Death Frost Doom
Blackmarsh
Dungeon Alphabet
Carcosa
Anomalus Subsurface Environment
Realms of Crawling Chaos
Green Devil Face
Age of Conan
I love the zines best:
ReplyDeleteFight On!
Knockspell
NOD
...but especially:
Oubliette
Carcosa
ReplyDeleteFight On! (and not just because they publish my stuff)
Fomalhaut
Vornheim
Labyrinth Lord Realms of Crawling Chaos
Small But Vicious Dog
nice to see some love for Small but Vicious Dog. I wish he would repackage that with a little higher production values and maybe try to get some more visibility. It's just plain fun to read.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone for your help! :)
ReplyDeleteWell another vote for Small But Vicious Dog.
ReplyDeleteAlso:
1. Encounter magazine
2. Oubilette zine
3. Old School Encounters Reference (and Kellri's reading list from Moldavy)
4. a metric crap ton of charts from Jeff's blog
5. Sham Bowman's Dismal Depths esp. the Bestiary
6. Woodgrain Box aka Bludgeons and Flagons
Vornheim
7. Stonehell
8. Hill Cantons Compendium (oh no, wait did I forget to log-in with my shill account again.)
9. Victor Raymond's OD&D board thread on how to run EPT
Woodgrain Box aka Bludgeons and Flagons
ReplyDelete@ckutalik - what is this? Google gives me a T&T adventure and a Dragon Magazine comic, but I'm guessing what you're talking about is neither of those.
Quickly throwing up my list. I promise to do a blog post tomorrow. :)
ReplyDeleteThe OSR Primer
The original Keep on the Borderlands
Vornheim
Death Frost Doom
Spire of Iron and Crystal
The original City State of the Invincible Overlord:
The Armory's Book of d30 Charts
I revised my list and posted it on my blog:
ReplyDeletehttp://unto-the-breach.blogspot.com/2011/11/favorite-osr-products.html
Also, though not exactly what you asked for, the three unreleased OSR products that I am most looking forward to right now are:
ReplyDelete- Carcosa (I missed the original release)
- Dwimmermount Codex
- Mines of Khunmar (published version)
I'm probably pre-sold on any decent megadungeon products, and quite receptive to "toolbox" books like Vornheim and the Tome of Adventure Design.
1- Blogs, blogs, blogs. Reading all your thoughts is the most useful part of the OSR to me. That's probably not what you meant by "products".
ReplyDelete2- Death Frost Doom is the only OSR product I've actually used.
Sorry, I just kinda make up everything myself. Its part of the fun of the hobby.
1) X-plorers
ReplyDelete2) Carcosa
3) People of the Pit
4) The Phoenix Barony (& The Tathor Gaz)
5) Stone Hell
6) Red Tide
7) Spire of Iron and Crystal
8) BX Companion
9) Oubilette Magazine
10) Links to Wisdom
That was way harder then I thought it would be. I had to pare the list down form twenty some items. I decided to not include any blogs to keep my sanity when making the list.
Fight On! Magazine
ReplyDeleteThe Random Esoteric Creature Generator
Tricks, Empty Rooms and Basic Trap Design
So far the most popular picks are:
ReplyDeleteThe top three, and very popular :
Vornheim, The Dungeon Alphabet and Fight On! magazine
The next seven:
Death Frost Doom, One Page Dungeons, Stonehell, Carcosa, Anomalous Subsurface Environment, Nod magazine, Realms of Crawling Chaos
Wow. Blogger really hates me. This is the third time I type this post.
ReplyDelete* Knockspell magazine
* Encounter magazine
* Old School Dungeon compilation(s)
* Dyson Logos maps and geomorphs
* The Sanctuary Ruin (and if you read this, Ludibrium Games: please add the other two modules to Lulu as well)
* Vornheim
* Free City of Haldane (Iridia)
* Raedwald (this one is blurry as it will be a full rule set as well but the classes and the innovative world make it double as a rules supplement to S&W as well as a campaign setting)
* The Phoenix Barony
* Blackmarsh
way late here but my picks arent that much diff from norm, but hopefully can still be of help:
ReplyDeleteFIGHT ON!
KNOCKSPELL
both JEWELS & GEMS by Faster Monkey
VORNHEIM
TRICKS, EMPTY ROOMS & BASIC TRAP DESIGN
OUBLIETTE
& though i havent used anything in it, & havent read thru the whole thing, a special "WOW" to the PLANET ERIS - HOUSE RULES
Those Little Brown Books
ReplyDeleteJudge's Guild Ready Ref Sheets
Judge's Guild Wilderlands of High Fantasy
The Strategic Review
Fight On!
Knockspell
Monster and Treasure Assortments
Forbidden Lore (Chainmail style combat in OD&D)
That's my list and I'm sticking to it.