Thursday, February 11, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen, I Give You, The Magic-User

blackwolf

Ok, it’s been a really, really busy week and I haven’t had very much time for writing. I’ve been working on some campaign stuff, but the shit just isn’t coming together. I’ve been in a foul mood for days, so I should probably give it a rest for a little while. Too obstinate for that, though.

Rowena Morrill Master of the Five Magics

While I wasn’t nearly as impressed with the author’s magic system, as the cover blurb wanted me to be, Master of the Five Magics was still a good read.

bobgould_elricbs

Magician_in_his_Oratory_jk

In the traditional lore, when the Magus attempted to summon an angel, demons would appear and attempt to hinder his work. There is more than one interpretation as to what that means. The Magician is inside a Magic Circle, which has been fortified by various names of God.

raven1

erasmus

Erasmus Craven, from The Raven. Great film. One of my favorites. Had very little to do with the poem. GG’s inspiration for the Shield spell.

Aleister_Crowley

Aleister Crowley in full regalia. 

merlin-Williamson-300x225

Nicol Williamson, so owned that role.

hermes_trismegistus_traditional_deption Hermes Thrice-Greatest.

Sorcerer_01 I need to get a print, of this. One of my favorite Frazetta pieces.

gh-wg5

Was Mordenkainen the first D&D Arch-mage?

emirikol-the-chaotic 

deeJohn Dee. Advisor to Queen Elizabeth I. In his time, he was widely regarded as the finest mind of his generation. If you’ve never heard of him, you can blame modern prejudices, which have little respect for Renaissance Era Religious Theoreticians. Or, those of any other era, for that matter.

Deep Into That Darkness Peering

I finally tracked down a copy of this book, only available in a Signed, Limited edition. The asshole who sold it to me, via ebay, lied when he said it was an unread copy. Just as well, I was planning on reading it, anyway. Amongst other things, it collects the various short stories by Tom Piccirilli, which feature The Necromancer and his familiar, Self. That’s The Necromancer in the center, looking like he’s already half-way to Lichdom. The character is also the protagonist of the author’s novel, A Lower Deep.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice! :D

    Everything about Boorman's Excalibur is top-notch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great imagery! And yes, Nicol Williamson owned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dad took me to see Excalibur, when it first came out. My parents were divorced and he was a weekend dad. So, all weekend, we would go to the theaters. I think I saw every new release that came out, between 78 and 81.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We watched Excalibur on DVD again recently, just such an evocative film. The one memory that sticks in my mind has to be Williamson's potrayal of Merlin. Carefully avoiding the cuddly, avuncular mentor, he is capricious, manipulative and manipulated "A dream to some . . . a nightmare to others!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't want to admit that I learnt about John Dee from drooling over hollywood actors but here is a link that I stumbled across whilst doing just that a while back. Sounds like an interesting comic series http://www.beforethedoor.com/2009/07/lucid---an-original-comic-book-series.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very good article. About the movie, "The Raven". I watched this with EGG many times (whenever we saw it on TV). I've commented on its many influences here: http://lordofthegreendragons.blogspot.com/2009/03/movie-time-garys-house.html

    It's a grand movie for sure. I really like the depth/range of your articles here. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that Boorman originally was to do Lord of the Rings, but couldn't get the rights and did Excalibur instead.

    ReplyDelete