Thursday, May 6, 2010

Again, The Magic-User

zagigThe Mad Archmage, himself. This guy alone, makes me want to run Greyhawk!

GBarr004Confession time! I haven’t read Vance. I might rectify that, tonight. Or, maybe this weekend.

image013Theleb K’aarna. It’s been many, many years, since I’ve read the Elric series, but my recollection of Elric’s struggle with the Pan Tangian sorcerer, has always remained vivid in my mind. Very, very cool Otus pic as well.

  wdalcWhile I preferred The Dragon by far, White Dwarf had better art.

 lichThe most famous Lich who ever… unlived.

The cover of Knockspell #1 and one of my favorite pieces by Peter Mullen. 

[fantasywargaming.jpg]

I don’t know why, but I’ve always been strangely fascinated by this little book. A copy sits upon my shelf and occasionally, I’ll take it out and read a little bit. There’s some useful information on running a feudal setting, though it’s certainly an inferior source, compared to the magic box you’re using now. I think it’s just that judging from the whole atmosphere of the thing, it seems like it should be really good. It Feels cool. Instead, it’s a game that people seriously doubt is even playable. Haven’t tried, myself.

merlin5.jpg Merlin image by Luke555

Nicole Williamson, again. I watched this for the first time in years, a couple of weeks ago. I still love the film. Nicole Williamson’s performance is still brilliant.

Gandalf fighting Balrog

My last post in this series, didn’t feature Gandalf. This is how I like to remember Gandalf the Grey.

ELRIC3picacio2008-712016.jpg (519×720)

John Picacio’s cover art for the third book in Del Rey’s new Elric re-issue. I think he’s done a fine job with these. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry, when I see a Brawny Elric.

7 comments:

  1. I quite like that picture of Turjan. He remains my favorite Vance character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is who we used for Merlin in our Pendragon campaign.

    http://hertfordshirekap5.wdfiles.com/local--files/486journal/red_hair_2_by_merrowman.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  3. In D&D 3.5 I finally got to make a sword slinging wizard. It was pretty cool. I was able to enhance my own sword and buffed the hell out of myself and charge into battle. I pissed off the other payers because I would have been much more effective had I done, well, wizard things instead of fighter things. But fighters get all the hot chicks, so, um, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend and I took seriously tried Galloway's game for a bit, alternating as GMs. Personally, I found the magic system completely unwieldy, but as a PBM or online PBP I think it could be used fairly well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ryan - Yeah, it's a very cool picture.

    @Eric - He looks wild and other-worldly.:)

    @Christian - That sort of thing is why I played 3e for several years. Whether as a DM or Player, I never cared about "builds," and all that optimization crap. It was the character concepts that I enjoyed playing with.

    @ze bulette - Someone should write a Galloway companion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just for the record--Nicol Williamson, not Nicole. But great post!

    ReplyDelete