After watching me work on a map the other day, my 6 year old son, Brisco, asked if he could make one. So, I pulled up the template in Gimp and let him go to town.
He calls it “The Village,” and tells me that the place is run by an Evil Wizard named Mr. Bacon and his Troll Warriors (the MM Goblins.) The Trolls have the ability to Summon more Trolls, but Summoned Trolls cannot Summon other Trolls. A Troll can only Summon another Troll once in its life, though. The map sports several volcanoes and Brisco has some ideas for a Dungeon inside one of these. The ones at the northeast section of the map, are '”Blood Volcanoes.” They spout blood, instead of lava.
The Barn in the middle of the eastern lake, sells Pets, which will help you fight and heal you. A barn, just to the north, sells trees, which have similar powers. The waters of that lake, are poison and dangerous to touch. The desert in the southwest, with the darker cactus’, are the home of Bats and if they touch you, you’ll have bad luck for a week.
Also in the northeast, below the more normal forest, is the Graveyard of Doom, with dead trees, ensorcelled by Mr. Bacon to attack interlopers.
The forest at the northwest, is home to a creature that is half Dragon and half “The Biggest Monster Ever Seen,” which I’m going to interpret as Cthulhu.
There’s a secret store in the mountains, which sells gadgets. Including Catapults and a Sword that does a thousand points of damage per hit.
The various portals, all lead to the nearest portal.
The Castle in the northern part of the forest in the west, is where folks live and where PC’s come from. There’s a cage, right beside that hex. The cage is for trapping Mr. Bacon and is wizard-proof. I’m assuming an anti-magic shell, or something of the sort.
The orange hexes are burning hot and will damage any travelers. The sun is closer, when travelling in these hexes. The mining tools, near the top of the map, show where to start digging, so you can dig a tunnel underneath, the burning hot hexes.
Hex 1205 features lines and if one of these are stepped on, you will be rapidly transported, to the opposite side of the hex.
I think my son is going to grow up and design the next Planet Algol.

Six years old, and has already created a blood volcano!
ReplyDeleteHis mother and I are both gamers, so between heredity and environment... :)
ReplyDeleteFantastic map! Love the wizard's name! Nothing more menacing than a powerful wizard with a somewhat silly food-based name!
ReplyDeletePork Fat Rules!
ReplyDeleteNice map! But bacon, associated with evil? I just can't believe it. I won't believe it, you hear! ;)
ReplyDeleteMy 6 year old son Gregory approves and especially likes Mr. Bacon and his MM Goblins.
ReplyDeleteI love me some bacon and Mr. Bacon!
ReplyDeleteI wonder where I would be now if I had a dad that fostered my imagination the way you are doing with Brisco? Well done James!
ReplyDeletePlease tell Brisco that trolls frighten me and I wish there were not so many of them. AAaaaarrrgh!
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool.
ReplyDeleteRemember that bacon is not pork...
Up at the North Pole, the elves use their magic to turn pork into bacon... yes they do.
I wanna play with that kid. My first quest is for the 1K damage sword, which I would put in the catapult and take out entire dungeon levels from range.
ReplyDeleteI echo the applause for your and your wife's fostering Brisco's fertile imagination. :D
ReplyDeleteAwesome! My twins are two and I'm hoping they become interested in gaming.
ReplyDeleteMost excellent!
ReplyDeleteLove the Blood Volcanoes!
I am so-o-o going to use blood volcanos the next time my players go plane travelling.
ReplyDeleteWhat books do you read to him at night?
Keep it up!
Ciao!
GW
Thanks guys, for all your wonderful comments! We just back home after a four hour road trip.
ReplyDelete@ Everyone - Brisco loves Bacon! It's probably his favorite meat.
@Trey - Funny you should mention that. My wife makes something I call "Evil Corn" which is her version of fried corn. Of course, it involves Bacon, butter and is sinfully delicious.
@Grendelwulf - He enjoys books based on the various cartoons he watches. Fairly Odd Parents, Jimmy Neutron, Spongebob, etc. He gets assigned all sorts of stuff, from school. I've been stocking his shelf with some young readers Star Wars and similar items, for when he's ready to go there. I need to find some Indiana Jones books, for his age group. He loves Indiana Jones.
@ Steve - Brisco said "That's not gonna happen."
ReplyDeleteThe ones at the northeast section of the map, are '”Blood Volcanoes.” They spout blood, instead of lava.
ReplyDeleteForget the OSR; next time I want to know how to make my campaign metal, I'm asking Brisco.
Oh, and the upper lefthand corner of your blog contains what is perhaps my favorite movie line ever.
ReplyDeleteHi Ryan - I think I'm gonna see if he's interested in a daddy/son joint project. :)
ReplyDeleteBlade is Awesome!