So, what else would you highly recommend I pick up or hunt ebay for? With an eye towards running the campaign, as opposed to just collecting.
Please update your links to my new blog at http://dreamsofmythicfantasy.blogspot.com/
Monday, August 29, 2011
Question for the Tekumel scholars - What else should I Pick Up?
So, what else would you highly recommend I pick up or hunt ebay for? With an eye towards running the campaign, as opposed to just collecting.
Labels:
EPT
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


If you are running a campaign, I would stop right there for the moment actually--especially if the players are newcomers to the setting. (Maybe, maybe think about picking up one of the cheap reprints of Mark Pettigrew's Best Journal articles for the nifty underworld generator.)
ReplyDeleteI found Victor Raymond's approach of running it straight out of the box and introducing all the heavy setting dress in slow in-game degrees to be a successful approach in our Google games. The only other real alternative is info-dump which is a great temptation (it was for me) if you have read reams and reams of this stuff.
Older hands then me can chime in what next to buy after you've run a few sessions, but I would lean toward picking up the two-part Different Worlds reprints of the S&G sourcebook. Lots of detail in that.
The three volume sourcebooks are great for really understanding the world, but Chris is probably right about what you need to start playing.
ReplyDeleteThe bestiary is cool, too (mainly for the pictures it provides since it's for a different system).
I have to second Chris, here. Less is more, especially with players new to the setting. I'd just use the EPT rulebook along with "The Pettigrew Selections." The Book of Ebon Bindings is wonderfully creepy and atmospheric, but by no means necessary. Swords & Glory v.01 will give you everything you have ever wanted to know about Tekumel (and probably a lot that you didn't) but I'd use it sparingly.
ReplyDeleteSome of the Fight On! magazines have a lot of Tekumel stuff.
ReplyDeleteCool. Thanks guys!
ReplyDeleteDude I know your love of demonology(ok the fake stuff) so I strongly suggest the Book of Ebon Bindings. There are no game stats in the book but its solidly interesting.
ReplyDeleteIf you haven't downloaded it Human Space Empires is a fun addition to Empire Of The Petal Throne family. http://ixians.blogspot.com/2011/03/revised-humanspace-empires-playtest.html
The bestiary is a must really because it gives a good overview of the animal life on the world.
Download the Dragon Magazine articles over at http://www.tekumel.com/
The Different Worlds sourcebooks are very cool & give a good everyman overview of everything that makes the setting cool.
I own the pdf of the original box set, the rule book is nice for backup & a different take on the rules set we know & love. It is a different animal then D&D
If you can find Flame Song then grab it from a second hand shop like good will..
James, welcome to Tekumel. I've been in the world since 1975. The only thing I can add to this is that Good/Evil in EPT was a Gygax thing. The Prof want Stability/Change. If you get up to Nashville give me a shout or e-mail me at alvahardison@yahoo.com Alva
ReplyDeleteThe Book of Ebon Bindings has some interesting things to say on the "gods" and of course all the demons that follow after that section. It is a pretty dark book, but it is one that I find very interesting (akin to the Book of Vile Darkness but for Tekumel).
ReplyDeleteI have some videos up on YouTube about Empire of the Petal Throne, the Sword & Glory books (1 and 2), and The Book of Ebon Bindings. Just type in Empire of the Petal Throne in the YouTube search box.
I just started reading The Man of Gold last week, and I think it is also a good intro into the setting.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone! Yeah, The Book of Ebon Bindings is on the list, for sure! As much as I appreciate/respect the advice to limit things, for the nonce, I know that when I read EPT, if I find myself really digging it, then my reading/collecting/obsessive characteristics are gonna kick in and I'll go on a shopping spree.
ReplyDeleteHey, I've gotta spend my mad money on something. Currently, it's Judges Guild. :)
Well if you must go down that dark path of oblivion, I would suggest tracking down the three solo gamebooks from the early to mid 90s. They aren't terribly expensive on the secondary market and you can play your way into some setting insights.
ReplyDelete