I decided to write up another Disarm Maneuver ruling, as the one I was using previously was based on something Michael Curtis worked up and I don't know if he intended it to be OG content, or not. I'm going to release my houserule doc, shortly and wanted to get everything properly squared away and set up on Lulu. I was going to contact Michael about it, but I was awake in the middle of the night and decided to write a new ruling, mainly to see what I might come up with. Also, it was faster than writing Michael. :)
My releasing the doc, is for the purposes of one DM talking shop with a few hundred others, not because I think I've edited the latest and greatest version of D&D. I know most of you would have already taken it that way, but for the benefit of any drive-by commentators, I thought I'd mention it.
Milieu Master Rulings: Book I - Characters & Combat is basically an alternative Player's Handbook, but without any spells included. I may or may not write my own version of the spells at a later date. In my campaign, I'm using the MU and Cleric spells from Swords & Wizardry Core 4th printing. For Druid spells, I'm using John Stater's work.
My main reason for putting this up on Lulu, is so I'll have a HC copy for myself and copies for the table. The PDF will be free. If anyone expresses an interest, I'll send the link for the print copy, which will be available at cost, $16.05. It's an 8.3 X 10.7 HC and clocks in at 42 pages, plus the covers.
The doc is written by myself, though the vast majority of the rules originally comes from OGL sources, of course. While some of my own ideas and tweaks are present, mostly this is just a re-edited version of D&D, with material drawn from the usual sources; retro-clones and OGL work of some of my fellow bloggers.
Lulu is also running a special: If you publish a book, you'll get a discount code, good for up to $25 off of your proof copy!
Disarm: A Fighter, Paladin or Ranger may attempt to disarm an opponent, who is wielding a one-handed weapon. An attack roll is made at -2 To Hit, -3 if the defender is wielding a small-sized weapon. If a hit is made, the attacker must make a Saving Throw at -3. If he rolls a true 18 or 19 To Hit, then there is no penalty to the save. A True 20 rolled To Hit, or on the attackers Saving Throw will automatically succeed with no further rolls being necessary. Otherwise, if the save is successful, the defender must then make a saving throw to hold onto his weapon.


I find the rule too cumbersome in the vein of parry rules. You have two modifiers for the to hit. Then there are three conditions for the PC save and then the other side gets to make a saving roll.
ReplyDeleteRather, I'd just make disarming something extra you get to try if you get a "crit" such as a 20 (natural or not). The other side gets a save which you might lower based on Player class (I'd give Monks a bonus if you have those) or STR or DEX mod. One condition initiates the disarm (roll 20+) and one roll is made against it with pre-existing on "on-the-sheet" so to speak modifiers. Of course the save should be v petrification. ;)