Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Guide to Free OSR Stuff on the Web

A by no means exhaustive (yet) list of links to free OSR gaming materials. This is a collection of links to material in PDF, Word or Open Office format. Except for cases with mixed collections, I’m not yet attempting to catalogue blog, webpage or forum resources. My tentative plan is to update this once or twice a month, until it turns into something truly monstrous!

Unless otherwise noted, the links are to the pages hosting the files and not the files themselves.

Retro-Clones320_6374501

Swords & Wizardry Core Rules PDF.

Swords & Wizardry Whitebox PDF.

Labyrinth Lord – No Art Version.

LL Advanced Edition Companion – No Art Version.

Mutant Future.

Osric.

Osric – High Res Version.

Spellcraft & Swordplay.

Microlite 74. 320_582817

Basic Fantasy.

Rules Supplements

Monsters of Myth (Osric).

Companion Expansion – Barrataria Games.

The Swords & Wizardry Companion.

0E Swords & Wizardry Monster Book in doc format.

Supplements from the Eiglophian Press.

Supplements from the Underdark Gazette.

The Holmes Treasury.

The Holmes Blue Book Companion.

Meepo’s Holmes Companion (direct link.)

The Gray Book.

Creatures From Unknown Lands (LL).

Modules[product thumbnail]

The Outpost on the Edge of the Far Reaches by Paul Fini.

Under Xylarthen’s Tower by Jeff Rients.

Castle of the Mad Archmage.

The Lost Staves of Maurauth.

Fabled Curse of the Brigand Crypt.

The Courtyard of Gerald the Red.

The One Page Dungeon Codex 2009.

The Fane of St. Toad by Michael Curtis.

Sham’s The Dismal Depths link 1.

Sham’s The Dismal Depths link 2.

Sham’s The Dismal Depths link 3.

The Mines of Khunmar (direct link.)

Temple of the Ghoul.

Mixed Collections & Misc.aocsm

AntiPaladin Games’ Old School Fantasy Section.

Dragonsfoot.

Classic Edition Fantasy Resources. (Jason Vey’s Conan Supplements & More!)

A Quick Primer for Old School Gaming.

Star Frontiersman Downloads.

Greyhawk Grognard: Best of the Blog 2008 – 2009.

Beyond the Black Gate Compendium 2009.

Setting Supplementsimage

The Carcosan Grimoire.

Color Carcosa Map.

The Metal Earth Resources.

Index of Freely Available Planet Algol Campaign Resources.

Encyclopedia Subterranica.

Engines & Empires.

The World of Thundarr supplement for Mutant Future.

Reference

Kellri’s PDF Downloads.

Campaign Journal from The Warlock’s Home Brew.

Magazines & Zines oj12-cover

OD&Dities Archive at Breeyark.org.

The Oerth Journal.

Encounter Magazine.

Other Gamesimage

Encounter Critical.

Mazes & Minotaurs. 

Dungeonslayers.

 

20 comments:

  1. awesome post! I luv the freebies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a shitton of stuff over at the dragonsfoot page. like 20 or so modules, plus character sheets, game aids, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm gonna spend a little bit more time working on it tonight, then probably post an update in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the mention. Now I need to add more stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The free preview of Level 1A from Stonehell Dungeon is available here:

    http://tinyurl.com/y2lswo3

    and the first supplement can be found here:

    http://tinyurl.com/y7ffr95

    In addition, the initial first drafts of levels 1-3 of Stonehell can be found as zipped files here (Level 1)

    http://www.mediafire.com/?outsnyd7jni

    here (Level 2)

    http://www.mediafire.com/?c3fi3ddcnjs

    and here (Level 3)

    http://www.mediafire.com/?b7ndmzagxmc

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if you'd count this, since it's a random generator rather than a document (but you can save the resulting html file to Word easily enough):

    Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future dungeon generator: http://www.apolitical.info/webgame/dungeon

    I know there are lots of dungeon generators out there, but mine has more features than most. For example it creates monsters from scratch rather than picking from a list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection of resources. We certainly are a prolific bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another free zine to add to the list - Encounter - focusing on "Classic D&D":

    http://www.encountermagazine.au2.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post! Thanks for the inclusion of PRG modules in your list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list.

    I've got some character sheets for Labyrinth Lord AEC UK and US versions. Planning to do a freebie each month.

    http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=80516&filters=0_0_0_0&free=1

    http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=80515&filters=0_0_0_0&free=1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for this post. I just went through about 25 instances of "Why, that's just exactly what I've been looking for!"

    I'm gonna go through so much jet printer ink . . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! Thanks for doing all the legwork for these links.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this excellent resources, and also thanks for including Temple of the Ghoul on your list!

    Also, for some reason, the links for Sham's Dismal Depths resources don't work any more--which is a shame, because I had never heard of this project before, coming back to hobby in late 2009. The pdfs are no longer on Orbitfiles. Does anybody know of an alternate download source?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, cool! Thanks for mentioning my... um... "Empires and Engines."

    Close enough. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ J.D. Higgins - D'oh! Fixed.
    @Matthew - I'll see if I can find a current link.
    @Editor - Thanks! I'm planning on adding a Sheet section.
    @David - Already added.
    @Age of Fable - Cool! I'll probably add a web tools section.
    @Michael - Thanks! I'll add on the next update.
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and links. Eventually, it's probably going to turn into its own webpage, of some sort.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not see it here but does anyone recall a 200+ page PDF that collected all sorts of useful charts, tables, pregenerated materials, etc.

    It was talked about a lot a while back and I downloaded it but it was lost with a bunch of other data and now I cannot remember what it was called.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Eli Arndt - Sounds like you might be talking about Kellri’s PDF Downloads, which are listed here under the Reference section.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Check out Dangers & Dweomers, a variant of Swords & Wizardry:

    http://artikid.altervista.org/?id=Games&detail=Dangers%20and%20dweomers

    ReplyDelete