Monday, April 26, 2010

So, I Made Another Hexmap

In Gimp, with hexes from several sources, including the Isomage’s brushes from Thorfinn Tait and some from Inkwell Ideas. Making a set of my own hex brushes for Gimp is on my to do list. There are several versions of Mystara style hexes, out there and at least a couple of Hex grids, designed for use with Gimp.

I worked out a couple of backgrounds for the place, while I was making it, drawing on some of my earlier ideas, as well as some stuff from the world map I made a few months ago.

I was working on some ideas for the Iron Lich thing and kind of figured out where I was taking things. I decided I didn’t like how it was developing.

So, I had just about decided to run Greyhawk, when I had the urge to open up Gimp and start making a map. I finished it yesterday. It printed out, quite nicely.

You can click the pic for the link to a hi-res version. 1 hex =5 miles.

alaethia1I like some of the things I have going on here. I’m going to think some things through, over the next few days and either key this, or start prepping for Greyhawk, this weekend. Either way, I’m keeping Zuggtmoy. Witness the Fungi Forest, near the center of the map.

8 comments:

  1. I'm heading to hex 2520. Looks like a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Scottsz - Howdy! I'll get back with you in a couple of days.
    @ Christian - Hopefully!
    @ Trey - Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @James: No problem. Looks like a LOT of adventure to be had in those hexes...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The inestimable isomage now has included a hex-numbering capabability to Hex-gimp according to an e-mail he sent me...I haven't had a chance to try it out yet (recovering in the hospital)...did you use the new version to get your hexes numbered?

    -basic fantasist

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Landscaping in Calgary!
    @ Anonymous - No, I have another Gimp template, which I picked up somewhere. The Cartographer's Guild, maybe?

    ReplyDelete