Sunday, July 25, 2010

If It Makes Your Eyeballs Explode, Please Let Me Know!

So, I wanted to add those new Sharing buttons, Blogger made
available to append to the end of posts. But, my old Template wasn’t having anything to do with them. I had tweaked and hacked it quite a bit, mainly to get my Three Column set-up, so maybe that was the issue. As I had been eyeing the nifty new Template Designer, anyway, I decided to go ahead and re-design the site. If you popped in more than once yesterday, you probably saw several different incarnations of my blog, as I spent most of the afternoon, experimenting and tweaking. Please let me know if the new scheme makes your head explode, or causes any other discomfort.

I decided to 86 Erasmus, while I was at it. If anyone noticed that Dr. Craven is missing from their Follower Widget and wonders where the strange long-haired dude, came from, now you know.

Live writer refused to detect the new theme correctly, getting it horridly wrong. I downloaded a program, made to fix this problem. It made things much worse. Removing and re-installing didn't help and the programs horrid attempts to conform to the theme it's mis-detecting, is causing it to be more trouble than it's worth!

Being able to edit within the theme is one of the most useful features of Live Writer. Damnit! So, I'm giving ScribeFire, a plug-in for Firefox, a whirl. I like what I'm seeing. ScribeFire detected my theme perfectly, on preview. I don't see where you can actually edit within the theme, though. But, you can switch back and forth, between the editing and preview screens, with just a mouse click. So, it's almost as good. Maybe even better, as while Live Writer got things real close, it would drop the ball, on occassion. ScribeFire appears to be letting me tweak things, quite accurately. Saturday will be the real test, as a lot of formatting goes into the News. 

It’s Read An RPG Book In Public Week, so let’s all pick something relatively Safe For Work and be seen, supporting our hobby!

While I’ve just barely started on it, I’ve added a Tab section, with a new page: A Guide to Free OSR Resources. In the weeks to come, expect it to turn into something truly monstrous!

One more note of interest, for the day: The Blogger at Swords & Dorkery is starting a cover to cover series of posts, on Bruce Galloway’s Fantasy Wargaming! He used to run Galloway’s rules, so it should be quite interesting! I might even break out my copy and read along.

Allright, I'll be back soon. Let's see how this post turns out!

17 comments:

  1. You have things looking good, James! I also updated The Outer Dark using the template designer. I am sure I will fiddle with it some more before it is over with. I want to add some tabs at the top like you have, but so far it escapes me how to do this. Can you point me to a "how to" on setting up tabs, or perhaps just give me a quick run-down?

    Thanks man!

    Shane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shane! Go to where you add a Widget. The first one at the top of the list, should be Pages. Add this. Then go to Bloggers posting software and you'll see options for New Post, Edit Post and the one you're looking for, Edit Pages. Click that last one and it'll give you the option to add a new page. The widget should automatically detect the New Page. If not, there's an option for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is great James. It's cleaner, and seems to load much faster for me.

    I miss your old widget, but only because I always had a soft spot for Vincent Price.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Scottsz - Thanks! Yeah, I'll miss Mr. Price as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The new layout looks great. I really like the guide to free OSR resources page, wicked idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm probably going to be doing the same with my blog. There's alot that my current template doesn't support. Change is good. The updated blog looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Someone actually *played* those rules!?

    Holy mother of...

    Now I've got to go read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi John - Over the next few weeks, it should become truly huge!

    Howdy Tenkar! Thanks!

    Hello Joseph! My thoughts, exactly! I'm looking forward to his series. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice layout, cool d20 and GREAT Tshirt!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! Very organized!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Trey!

    @ Shane - Cool!

    Hi Dungeonmum - Thanks! Love AC/DC!

    Thanks Bat!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just to clarify, I only ran one session, although my brother ran some too.

    My eyes did not assplode.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hmm, looks. . .why do my eyes feel funny?
    <>
    Aaaarrgghh!

    Just kidding :)
    I've been resisting the new templates myself, but yours looks nice. It is just taking me time to get used to it (I miss the nifty side columns with the main posts in the center).

    Ciao!
    GW

    ReplyDelete
  14. The only thing I'd change is that picture of the gorilla holding the d20. It's funny but it gets old. :P

    ReplyDelete