Monday, July 12, 2010

Satan and the “OSR”

As a blogger, I'm glad I'm not high profile, like Mr. Raggi. Being human, I'm bound to write something inflammatory, stupid, inappropriate, or otherwise open to criticism, on occasion. At least I don't have to worry that the entire bloody community, which I choose to interact with, will be blamed, mischaracterized, insulted and belittled, due to something I've said. Not so much, anyway.

So, if I do write something objectionable, please feel free to call me on it. But make sure that it’s something like, “James, you’re full of shit!” Or, better yet, “James, you’re wrong and here’s why.”

I’d be really peeved, if people said this sort of thing:

“The ‘OSR’ has lost its way!”

“The ‘OSR’ is Tainted!”

“The ‘OSR’ needs to be taught a Lesson!”

“The Leader of the ‘OSR’ thinks he can tell me what to think!”

“I’m not  a member of the ‘OSR’ and don’t associate me with those people!”

“Those ‘OSR’ people are just Faddists! They’re not real Old Schoolers!”

“Those ‘OSR’ people are Fanatics! They’re trying to tell me how to play D&D!”

So, you can rest assured, that I will, in all likelihood, be overlooked by those who feel the need to damn and demonize their fellows.

Or turn a network of gamers, into some Illuminati-like opposition! ;)

There are no “OSR” leaders. There is no “OSR” membership card. There is no ”OSR” clubhouse. There are no “OSR” dues. There is no “OSR” dogma. There is no “OSR” secret handshake. There is no “OSR” initiatory ritual, oath or secret lore. There is no “OSR” party line.

There is no Satan. There is no “OSR.”

Long live the Old School Renaissance!

23 comments:

  1. "There is no spoon."

    I wish there was a clubhouse, though. That's be cool. We could listen to Iron Maiden and slay beasties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that is Satan's best trick: making everyone think he's not real.

    JUST KIDDING! :)

    And I resemble that Tainted remark. It wasn't meant in exactly that way, but as the flames were hot in that blog there was little time to explain my words thoroughly.

    Tainted in a Lady MacBeth way. We all had blood on our hands in some way. Few realized pride had passed by until we were falling. Some still haven't heard the body fall yet either.

    I was mostly angered by the arrogant "It doesn't matter if I call someone names 'cause if it bothers them it is their own problem" attitude. I forgot stupidity loves a good fire.

    Even when I posted dropping the glue-covered stick from my hands and left the "fun", someone took it as me calling them a dead horse, rather than the futility of the ranting.

    So it goes. Tomorrow is another day.

    Ciao!
    GW

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I want in on the clubhouse, too! Okay, just kidding :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Christian!

    @ Grendelwulf - Please don't think I took your remarks personally. And while I'm quite serious about what I'm saying here, much of it is being said with a twinkle in my eye. I don't recall ever calling anyone an "OSRite," or what have you. I think the whole damn argument is silly ego tripping, but I don't like it when people whose only failing is enjoying old TSR games and communicating with like minded individuals, are lambasted for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dhowarth333 - You'll have to give me the Secret Handshake and be able to recite the DMG, word by word, from memory! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, that's easy to recite,
    "the DMG, word by word, from memory! :)"

    But waitaminute. How to do the secret handshake? I keep hitting my hand to the screen but I only see a small crack forming. Is that it? Am I close? Maybe one mo..<fzzzzrrrbbbbbttt!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always thought that making inflammatory remarks was kind of Raggi's "thing". You know, once every few months people get all upset about something he said and then we all go back to writing about whatever we were writing about before.

    @Christian, I wish there was a clubhouse too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Old school renaissance?? I thought everyone was upset about the operational sex ratio!

    ReplyDelete
  9. D&D is D&D.

    Who started the OSR "movement" anyways? I don't recall...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thus spake Chairman Floyd:

    "Black and blue,
    And who knows which is which and who is who.
    Up and down,
    But in the end it's only round and round."

    ReplyDelete
  11. The funny thing nobody started the OSR Movement the term was first used by an anonymous poster on Dragonsfoot.

    http://batintheattic.blogspot.com/2009/08/where-hell-old-school-renaissance-come.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Whatever Kask's past achievements, he comes across as an incredibly dislikeable 61-yea-old. It's hard to respect your elders when they behave like that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn, I want a clubhouse too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Maybe everyone takes this all too serious... ever hear of hyperbole?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just my two cents about the need for a clubhouse. Treehouse (or treanthouse) would be better though...

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Dan: that was similar to my thoughts. My other was, who is he to get that pissy that Raggi wasn't acknowledging those who did the real work like him, TSR's first full time employee.

    Being the first full time employee pretty much means you can claim to know the guys who invented the thing, not that you had a GD thing to do with inventing it.

    Gary or Dave or Blume writes this, I might think "hey, maybe we've been dissing these guys", but the guys who did what people like Raggi and company are doing but were just of the age and place to do it at TSR? Not flying.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a club house. Sad. I know.

    ReplyDelete
  18. All right. The people have spoken! Elect me head of the "OSR" and I'll Build a Clubhouse. I might even throw in free Healthcare.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Now I know what I want to do if I win the lottery. Build a comfy treehouse for playing D&D in. I'd want a Jeff Rients style round table in it, and a treasure chest to keep my D&D stuff in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I want in on the clubhouse also if there is Iron Maiden and DnD!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Having just finished watching 'Spartacus: Blood and Sand', I want to know if we can have a Bath-House too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! A Bath-House sounds like a capitol idea!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Huzzah! Ave, OSR, morituri te salutant!

    ReplyDelete