Lame. Each had a chance to end that in the first 15 seconds. Too much TRY on the 'cool' choreography, not enough on the kll the other guy. Sort of why Rome kicked so much ass for so long.
While the choreography is pretty darn cool, I'm actually with GSV on this one.
Having better "cool" choreography didn't make the light saber duels in the prequel movies better. It just made them longer and more flashy.
The reason that the light saber battle between Vader and Kenobi in Ep. IV is so gripping is not because they are master fencers. It's because you know you're watching something important - two masters, past their prime, meeting for the first time in over 20 years to battle for the fate of the galaxy. And you just know when watching it that Kenobi is going to die even before the fight starts.
The light saber battles between Luke and Vader in Eps. V and VI are equally powerful. In Ep V you have the young inexperienced Luke and you watch him thinking that there's no way he can defeat Vader, but he's going to try in order to save his friends. You get to Episode VI and you are nervous because you're afraid, based on what you've seen and heard, that Luke is going to be swayed to the dark side. And, he's fighting his father - how messed up is that?
In the prequels, the choreography is way better, but the resulting lack of character development or intensity in any of the emotions just leaves the whole thing feeling flat and empty. It's like boring sex that went on way too long - it starts out fun and exciting, but you just lose interest halfway through because it's the same old thing over and over.
I'm with GSV and Martin--I stopped halfway through because I'd been hoping for something more engaging and it didn't really come. The best I got was a slight chuckle from the one guy getting hit in the head with his own weapon.
Seven Samurai this isn't. I'd like to see this done by two at least half-trained swordsmen, any type of sword or method. I agree with those who say these guys were lame.
Hey @-C - if you read my post, you'll see that I'm not saying these guys aren't talented. It's a well-made fan video featuring some cool choreography.
I mainly used it as a springboard to put forth my supposition that, usually, the "cooler" the lightsaber battle is in terms of choreography, the worse it was in the context of the Star Wars movies. In the prequels, "cool" effects and choreography are given priority over story, acting, dialog, and character development. The result just falls flat, IMO.
Neato, James. And a big hello to the wife from me. Hope you guys are doing well. I bought Tunnels to read. Not sure what age it is for, but it's a pretty good sized kid's book. Tim and I are on holiday for 10 days, and I'm looking forward to giving it a read.
Why is it that the people with the coolest Star Wars ideas are never George Lucas?
ReplyDeleteAwe-inspiring James. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteLame. Each had a chance to end that in the first 15 seconds. Too much TRY on the 'cool' choreography, not enough on the kll the other guy. Sort of why Rome kicked so much ass for so long.
ReplyDeleteWhile the choreography is pretty darn cool, I'm actually with GSV on this one.
ReplyDeleteHaving better "cool" choreography didn't make the light saber duels in the prequel movies better. It just made them longer and more flashy.
The reason that the light saber battle between Vader and Kenobi in Ep. IV is so gripping is not because they are master fencers. It's because you know you're watching something important - two masters, past their prime, meeting for the first time in over 20 years to battle for the fate of the galaxy. And you just know when watching it that Kenobi is going to die even before the fight starts.
The light saber battles between Luke and Vader in Eps. V and VI are equally powerful. In Ep V you have the young inexperienced Luke and you watch him thinking that there's no way he can defeat Vader, but he's going to try in order to save his friends. You get to Episode VI and you are nervous because you're afraid, based on what you've seen and heard, that Luke is going to be swayed to the dark side. And, he's fighting his father - how messed up is that?
In the prequels, the choreography is way better, but the resulting lack of character development or intensity in any of the emotions just leaves the whole thing feeling flat and empty. It's like boring sex that went on way too long - it starts out fun and exciting, but you just lose interest halfway through because it's the same old thing over and over.
I'm with GSV and Martin--I stopped halfway through because I'd been hoping for something more engaging and it didn't really come. The best I got was a slight chuckle from the one guy getting hit in the head with his own weapon.
ReplyDeleteIt's still better than the duel at the end of Episode III.
ReplyDeleteWow. You guys are jerks.
ReplyDeleteThis is DIY gold, here - it isn't lucasfilm that produced this.
Seven Samurai this isn't. I'd like to see this done by two at least half-trained swordsmen, any type of sword or method. I agree with those who say these guys were lame.
ReplyDeleteHey @-C - if you read my post, you'll see that I'm not saying these guys aren't talented. It's a well-made fan video featuring some cool choreography.
ReplyDeleteI mainly used it as a springboard to put forth my supposition that, usually, the "cooler" the lightsaber battle is in terms of choreography, the worse it was in the context of the Star Wars movies. In the prequels, "cool" effects and choreography are given priority over story, acting, dialog, and character development. The result just falls flat, IMO.
@JasonZavoda - Added your to blog to the roll. Haven't had time to read any of it yet, but from the post titles, it looks groovy as all hell.
ReplyDeleteNeato, James. And a big hello to the wife from me. Hope you guys are doing well. I bought Tunnels to read. Not sure what age it is for, but it's a pretty good sized kid's book. Tim and I are on holiday for 10 days, and I'm looking forward to giving it a read.
ReplyDeleteWhat are you guys reading?
Hi Happy Whisk! The Adventures of Ook and Gluk, Kung-fu Cavemen from the Future!
ReplyDeleteI'll have to check those out when we go back to Borders, or Barnes.
ReplyDelete