Friday, June 17, 2011

For those keeping up with WotC

I realize I've brought enough bullshit everyone's way in the past 24 hours, but for those who don't follow Tower of the Archmage:

http://towerofthearchmage.blogspot.com/2011/06/wotc-fail-girls-d.html

37 comments:

  1. Thanks for pointing that out, James. It's hard to believe somebody this intolerant has a job producing web content for the public. And he's stupid enough to commit career suicide by making misogynistic public posts. Very offensive. He deserves to be censured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least this puts an end to GC's "industry standards: strawman ;P

    Seriously though, WTF?!?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zounds. Looks like I picked a good time to fully jump ship to the OSR, even with all the controversy hereabouts.

    Thanks for posting this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, WOTC clearly has little in the way of managerial oversight if the original article got out as it did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an amazing perfect storm of halfheaded insanely poor judgement on the part of several of the parties concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only surmise, that they just don't care. (shrug)

    I would have fired him after his first article on how to punish kids, for having badwrongfun while playing D&D.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this! I appreciate you using your voice to spread the news!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure thing David. Thanks for your original post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, thanks to BOTH of you for exposing this bizarre, misogynist travesty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Carter! It really is bizarre, isn't it? I didn't link David's post to slam WotC. It really is an OMG WTF kind of thing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really hate this sort of thing. I wish people could just have taboo opinions and even state them publicly without people holding it against them outside of that conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Antion-Welcome aboard. It's a big boat :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. After they axed their minis line, those slutface whorebags ceased to be of interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous said - "I really hate this sort of thing. I wish people could just have taboo opinions and even state them publicly without people holding it against them outside of that conversation."

    Maybe the people who excuse violence against women and talk, jokingly or not, of wanting to be orc rapists, should be sure to only post under Anonymous accounts.

    Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As an aside, the new Tavern Wench table will feature a Medusa and a Furrie.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually, I don't care about the current (and retracted article), anonymous. I am wondering how a travesty of anti-social behavior actually got another article after that horrible first one about punishing children.

    I often run the children's table when called to, and I tell you, I would be shocked and dismayed to find another GM doing such things. You do not 'punish' players for behaving badly at a table. You just run things straight, and reward behaviors you wish to see. You get a lot more accomplished by handing out that 50 xp to a player for "A good Plan" or "Thinking of Something Cool" than you do by penalizing people.

    Urk is someone I never would have invited back, and that's before I read about all the other comments he made.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree kensan-oni! The guy obviously has no patience with children, or understanding of their approach to play.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You guys are too sensitive. What he said was funny and even took guts to do. I bet he could make a better version of D&D then that 4ed crap .

    ReplyDelete
  19. More guts than stating it anonymously, I suppose, though perhaps less guile.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't think it was guts. It probably never occurred to him that anyone would dig up those words and share them.

    His opinions are his business. I could give a fuck, so long as he's not violating someones rights to life, liberty or property.

    But I damn sure wouldn't associate with the fellow.

    ReplyDelete
  21. When you are the public face for a company, you can't afford to have (or at least show) the opinions this jackass apparently has.

    Might be time for him to look into new employment before he gets hit with a midyear Hasbro purge.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @anon -

    I feel like anybody who is going to say anything better be ready to own up to it at anytime.

    Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The article was bad, but that's all it was: a bad article. It set fire to Twitter as people tweeted that they were contacting WotC, etc. on the #dnd hashtag, but it was still just a bad article.

    It was the Twitter remarks from the author that made it all explode. The 'shock speed' of Twitter seems a lot faster than the blogosphere.

    Hasbro's like Disney - they move too many units on the Family Game Night... I think WotC's managament must be smoking the curtains over there at HQ.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Not exactly Plato is it fellas? Reading the comments on the last three posts here puts me in mind of a symposium of gossipy women, self-righteously quelling the outrage of sensational violent art one day, but wait, next day red is the new black, outrage must out, we can't be wrong if we toe the feminist line. Who will dare deny us our day of outrage? Fair is fair.

    Yep, you osr guys are just about the dumbest dudes I have come across.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Kent,

    I guess I'm not surprised that you would call repugnance at someone's excusing violence against women, as "toeing the feminist line."

    I used to think that people like you would be horrified, if they realized just how transparent to others, their emotional problems really are.

    Then I realized, that people like you, Kent, want nothing more than to display just how fucked up they really are.

    So, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, by the way. I do think that last is more healthy than hiding yourself under a rock. So, long as you don't take it to the point of criminal activity. And, if you're actually trying to work on yourself. Don't let me discourage you.

    ReplyDelete
  27. In proclaiming yourself a champion of abused women, and me not, you have emphasised only that you are giddy exercising a moral vanity communally with your several lady friends.

    Tomorrow we learn you are against child slavery, the day after you make a foe of disease.

    I would be more approving if your declarations had any affect but I fear they might be pointless.

    ReplyDelete
  28. No, I made no assumption about your values. I wrote:

    "I guess I'm not surprised that you would call repugnance..."

    It would have been clearer if I had written, "...that you would write..."

    Kent, darling, I wasn't trying to convince you or anyone, of anything. Least of all, Greg.

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Antion said...
    More guts than stating it anonymously, I suppose, though perhaps less guile.

    And your any better? Or did you parents really name you Antion after your mother pushed your hairy face body from her womb.

    ReplyDelete
  30. A rose, by any other name. We know Antion as Antion. Every time Antion posts, we know it's him and know his reputation. If his name was Charles, the same would apply. Unless he's gonna post his SSN on his profile, there's not enough of a difference to quibble. So, yeah anonymous, there really is a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WoW. Seems like I missed quite the weekend of crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  32. James, you are a hypocritical asshole.

    HOW DARE YOU express your opinion on what WotC should or should not have done. You are trying to censor them!

    My grandpa fought the Nazis so you could do this, eh? You are wasting your freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You didn't stay in your box for very long Greg. :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. I had no idea his NEXT POST would contradict his entire argument, Stuart. :D

    ReplyDelete