Saturday, January 8, 2011

Everything Sucks and Get Off My Lawn

Opinions are Like Assholes

I don't like 4e. I don't like WotC's latest scheme to add a CCG pay to play element to an rpg. It's not only my right to choose what I do and don't like, it's my right to speak my mind and write what I think on this blog. I'll damn sure continue to do so! However, not being a total dick about it, I will not do any of the following:
  1. Tell you that you suck for playing a game I don't like. 
  2. Think any less of someone for what they play.
  3. Go to your blog, where you talk about 4e and what you enjoy, then spam up your comments with my bullshit.
A very tiny percentage of this blog's content is devoted to mentioning WotC era games. I foresee that holding true in 2011. By and large, I don't give a rat's ass what WotC does, but if they do something I think is fucked-up, I might say a thing or two about it. 

I Do Not Want WotC to go Bankrupt, out of business or otherwise to go down in flames. I don't buy into the idea that if WotC sinks they'll take everyone else with them. That may have been true at one time, but I don't think it's true today. I don't want to see it happen. But not all of the ill-will towards the company, both within and without their current customer base, is unjustified and that's something WotC and their supporters are going to have to address. 

10 comments:

  1. I think the next few years will be interesting for the brand. I would be very surprised to see the D&D 4e game remain exclusively on the table-top. Hell, the Storyteller System is now a "legacy product" according to Ryan Dancey's CCP. I really don't know what to think, although to quote the great philosopher Butthead, "The more things change, the more they suck."

    The times they are a changing, but grizzled old veterans like us will always be able to get a game together, provided them young people STAY THE HELL OFFA MAH LAWN!!!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that there us a fine yet distinct line between, on the one hand, having a personal opinion and, on the other, judging others or being mean or divisive as a result of that opinion. Now I happen to share your opinion -- i.e., I inherently dislike 4e as well as this CCG bullcrap -- but I also bear no ill will toward WotC, Hasbro, or anyone who gets pleasure out of 4e or other games I have no personal truck with. Well said!

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I want is for WotC to stop selling any product whatsoever with the "Dungeons & Dragons" title.

    Beyond that, they can succeed or fail, go big or go bankrupt; I don't give a damn. As soon as they stop taking steaming dumps on one of the Great Games, they're off my radar for good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I do want people at WotC to die a horrible death. I mean, one that possibly involves chainsaws and hamsters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, it might not be MY D&D, but it's somebody's D&D. What others play doesn't effect me in the least.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Personally, I'd fucking LOVE to play a tactical, turn-based computer RPG based on the 4e rules. I would purely love it. FF Tactics with the 4e rules!

    As far as the RPG, I'm not playing it now, but I have in the past, and I like it just fine. It just doesn't do what I want out of a game right now. But they'll allowed to do whatever the hell they want with their IP - they paid good money for it after TSR shit the bed. This is how the world works - suck it up, nerdrage.

    PS - sorry about the profanity, I'm feeling swear-y after reading Temple of Demogorgon which I will not link here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom always used that expression about opinions; I got a chuckle out of the heading and appreciate your post. I don't care what any game company does with a game. Its use by me depends upon myself and those who play. If they totally mess up a game I liked, I still have my version and my own adaptations to make the game good. It’s not like a TV series that totally screws up an awesome beginning with a lousy middle and end. *cough* BSG *cough* I visit you site often, thanks for all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Has anyone gone to GaryCon?

    ReplyDelete