Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bloody Vikings!

350px-MontySpam I did a quick check of my blog this morning, only to discover that my Comments had been Spammed! Some poor, broken hearted soul, with a Shoe Fetish, had left what must have been either an enigmatic, yet, obviously desperate cry for help, or, a supreme example of Dadaism, in the comments section of seven or so, of my posts. Alas, I was ill this afternoon and in a horrible mood, thus, I deleted all the comments, without saving an example. I later did a quick search and Zazzle is offering a “Dadaism Keds Shoe,” for sale, so, maybe someone was inspired.

Just in case you missed it, Joseph has the January update of Castle of the Mad worldgreyhawk5thfolioArchmage, up. On the off chance you’re new to the OSR, this is a version of the Castle Greyhawk Mega-Dungeon, written by a Gentleman and Greyhawk Scholar. If you love Greyhawk, you can easily spend a few hours, going through his blog and wondering if it’s time to pull the old World of Greyhawk Boxed Set or Folio, off of the shelf and run the Quintessential D&D Campaign.  I’ve never ran Greyhawk. It’s something that’s been on my “to do” list, for a while. I just enjoy creating my own campaigns so much, that that’s how I always choose to proceed. But, my sensibilities have changed, over the years. Now that I’m no longer concerned with creating the “Next, Great Fantasy World” and am merely looking to create the best D&D Campaign I’m capable of, I might soon break out that Boxed Set and let my players wreak havoc in Mr. Gygax’s sandbox. Soon, but, not yet.

DnD_keep_on_the_borderlands_coverThere’s something else I never ran. This’ll surely call my Old School cred into question, but, I’ve never ran The Keep on the Borderlands. Never. What the Hell’s up with that? I’m throwing the Keep, somewhere, in the Sandbox for my upcoming game. If the players find their way there, I’ll be interested to see if any of them recognize where they are. After my initial D&D apprenticeship, I never ran modules. So, there’s a lot of the classic TSR stuff, that I never used. Then, there’s all the new OSR stuff, I’ve picked up of late.

I’m doing things differently, this go around and I’ve decided to place several adventures, purchased and free download items, in my game. I’ll still be writing some stuff myself, but, this will save me time and since I’m letting the players have free reign, also let me put out a lot of interesting options and adventure hooks. I’ll DM on the fly, anytime, but, I kinda like the idea of having this large, library of material, ready to whip out, when the players decide to head to the appropriate hex. Besides, I’ve been buying quite a bit of OSR stuff, these past few months and I want to actually use some of it! At one time, I was far, far, to Superior of a DM to use a Published Module, but, as I continue to make progress in removing the Giant Stick that’s been up my ass, for years, I’m changing a lot of my attitudes. I’m looking forward to my new campaign!

2 comments:

  1. It can sure be easier and quicker to 'whip something out' (ooh-er, missus) if the players decide to wander off to the wrong part of the sandbox. A certain person (who we both know, but I won't name him to avoid him getting into trouble with the Thought Police) gifted me some discs that had a lot of good stuff on, so that's me sorted if I need a module or two.

    That having been said, I do like to homebrew and having modules on hand is a very great temptation not to.

    And no, I've never run or gone down KotB.

    And to make this a really inclusive comment, I have had spam of the Japanese variety (there seems to be a lot of it about these days) - how it gets through the word verification, I don't know. I have moderation on which means that I can shoot it down before it reaches those who might get irritated by it. If you run it through Babelfish, it comes out very, very strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to turn moderation on, if it happens again. Japanese Spam... weird.

    ReplyDelete