Thursday, January 28, 2010

Why I Have Absolutely NO USE for Character Flaw Tables

gir211 I was reading an RPG book, yesterday, which features some tables for Character Flaws, Quirks, Bogies, whatever the hell you want to call them. Some DMs like using this sort of thing. I’m not one of them.

Ok, there’s two main reasons I don’t use bogey tables. First, because I allow my players to create the kind of character concept they want. That intent can easily be nullified, by rolling a flaw, or trait, which doesn’t fit in well, or, is directly opposed to, the concept they have in mind.

But, an even stronger consideration, is the fact that role-players will create and develop their own traits, flaws and quirks. Role-players Want to develop their characters and the more imaginative and experienced ones, will almost always throw some weirdness into the mix. At times, they will be quite deliberate in going about this. Sometimes, it’s more spontaneous.

Some player’s like to adhere to tradition. A fighter who explodes into a rage, at the drop of a hat. An evil Sorceress, who’s a psychotic vamp. The Cavalier, whose hubris leads him to mistreat “peasants,” and behave recklessly. The Ranger, who never baths, likes to taste the spoor of what he’s tracking and dislikes being around people.

Others, take a different tack, inspired by who knows what. Maybe the Wizard starts drinking, quite a bit, even taking a flask into the dungeon. Or, the Cleric will become obsessive about book collecting, going to absurd, larcenous, or even insane, lengths, to secure a rare volume.

Often, a character trait will start off as a joke, then, be adopted and played to the hilt! Halfling hatred, comes to mind, here. Or, fear of some animal or monster, like bats, or oozes. Sometimes, the other players will humorously embellish upon the actions of one of the characters, inspiring said player to adopt a new habit, or mannerism.

Occasionally, players will just start acting kind of weird, about something. Irrationally distrusting a certain type of NPC, perhaps, or becoming suspicious of another characters’ new powers.

A lot of players dig acting wacky and will often seek to exacerbate a “problem”. I once had a player whose Dwarven Warrior, suffered a decrease in intelligence, due to a draw from a Deck of Many Things. He later asked me if I could arrange a decrease of another point, or two.

Of course, most characters begin exhibiting signs of paranoia, almost immediately.

Don’t get me wrong, I LIKE Random Tables. For some things. Furthermore, if a player wanted to roll on a bogey table, I wouldn’t have a problem with her doing so. I just wouldn’t make her do it, or even suggest such a thing. Seeing character development, under the control of the player, whether deliberate and planned or spontaneously arising out of game-play, is far more satisfying. I’ll take the weird and wonderful role-playing creations of my players, over an idea taken from a bogey table, any day. Players do just fine, developing their persona, without any railroading, on my part.

17 comments:

  1. I'm with you. I especially dislike games where PCs benefit from taking disadvantages by getting points that can improve other skills. It seems kind of silly to be better at swinging a sword because one is an alcoholic. Unless, of course, you have to sword fight to get to the bar every night.

    In other news, do you have a link to dyingearth.com on your blog? Your blog is loading real slow for me and in the status bar I see a "waiting for dyingearth.com" message.

    Peace,
    Christian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christian. Yeah, it's my Vance Quote widget. I'll remove it, until it's working properly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The whole advantages and disadvantages concept is another way to make things "fair" so that all the players have the same overall "scores"

    Yugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops...

    So, three votes against including 'Edges' in the UWoM canon, then? ;) :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a big GURPS fan. While my players and I have had few problems with Advantages and Disadvantages, it's largely because we have such similar views on play style and character creation.

    However, I've gamed with strangers and the experience hasn't always been so grand. As a result, I tend to say NO! to edges and flaws. I think it's nice to see them as an optional system, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Timeshadows! How well do they facilitate what you're working to accomplish? Can your goal be accomplished without adding more rules? My own preference, is for system to be as subservient to imagination, as it possibly can and still be D&D. My little boy, likes to play with systems, on occasion, but usually ends up tossing them aside and creating a system which is totally dominated by his imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you play with a DM who knows how to play charakter flaws against the charakters a flaw/quirk system is some good addition to any rule set. So in the end it's only more work for the Dungeon Master and some nice way to min/max for players.
    The old Hackmaster System has a great quirks & flaws system, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You seem to be looking at this from the veiw of an experenced gamer, who does not need such a table. However many people do, as you get a couple problems:
    1.Many players can't think of a flaw or such as they think of the character as too perfect or heroic.
    2.Many players will pick a useless flaw or such. They will be afraid of sunflowers or be greedy and want more gold.
    3.Often, even with a flaw or such, a player will never role-play it negative way. They will fight the giant spiders even if they are afraid of spiders, for example.

    Many players need flaws in the rules, and that is why they are put in the books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cyric. Thank you for your comments.
    Ditto, Tinyguy. I'm not interested in "Forcing" a player to role-play. It's up to the player to create their persona and bring it to life. While I will facilitate this process, I'm not going to play their character. If that's what I wanted, I would be writing a novel, or masturbating. If I want to teach someone how to role-play, I will, to borrow a metaphor, "teach them how to fish," as opposed to doing it for them. Working with the player to create a character background is the perfect opportunity, to do so. Regardless, odd traits will surface, as the player runs her character. Even if the player doesn't deliberately choose a flaw, if they're developing their persona at all, strange little developments will appear. I'll take the gold of spontaneity, or the player's own planning over the dross of defining their character for them, any day. Thousands, upon thousands of us got along for decades, just fine, without any "character flaw" tables.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just build a Charakter for a Savage World Campaign. Choosed to played some old, ugly guy who can dabble in magic and it was cool to get some bonus for choosing the old and ugly flaws. In Cthulhu it would have all depend from the gamemaster - in Savage World it has some flesh and bones now.

    I see your point and agree in parts but I still like some quirk/flaw systemes as long as they feel fitting to the whole game system.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cyric: I haven't studied the Savage World's system, but, my wife got me the SW Solomon Kane RPG for Christmas and I'm looking forward to reading it. Your comment mentioned that you got to Choose the old & ugly flaw and while I'm not a fan of that type of mechanic, it's not what I was railing against. :) Player choice is key here and a concept I'm always supportive of. Thanks again for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. James,

    The ones I like best are the Racial Edges, and as such, they have no analogue in the game otherwise.

    The Half-Abbekqorru (alchemical hybrids of the bear-wolf humanoids with humans) Humanesque Edge, which allows them to pass for humans; or their Shadow Pit which allows them to bury things in this dark extra-dimensional space and retrieve it wherever they are. Likewise things that only exist for a given species or related (half-bloods or sub-species), etc.

    I agree that little +2 to Climb type advantages are a dead-end, but role-changers like the above are lacking in any other sense in the game.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello again, Timeshadows.

    I think racial and class abilities of that sort are meaningful and can enrich the game in many ways. I think 3e had the germ of a good idea with Feats, but let it devolve into something empty and, in a negative sense of the word, gamist.

    ReplyDelete
  15. James: Okay, cool. We're on the same page then. :)

    Happy gaming,

    ReplyDelete