Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Magic-User, Of Course

image

I’ve always preferred DMing, but, on occasion, I’ve had the opportunity to actually play an AD&D character. When the stars aligned and I got the chance to roll one up, I would almost always, choose to play my favorite class. The Magic-User.

I love every aspect of role-playing an AD&D MU. I love being a low level Prestidigitator, living by my wits. I love being a powerful, name level Wizard, though, the highest level I ever managed to work one up to, was 12th. I love choosing which spells to memorize and finding new and creative ways to use the ones I chose. I love awesome spells like Disintegrate and weird little wonders, like Rope Trick.

I love spell management, especially at low levels. I love holding back, knowing I’m not casting one of my few, precious spells, yet. I love knowing the time’s right and pulling out the Magic-Missile, Sleep spell, or, finally, a Fireball.

I love flaming oil. I love having my back against the wall and having no choice, but to grab my staff and roll a to hit. I love that we never had a “15 minute adventuring day,” because, we weren’t wussies.

I love having to grapple a were-rat, because I’m out of spells, we’re all 1st level and no one has a magic weapon (thanks, Darren.) I love having both my arms, cut off by slicer-beetles (thanks, Joey.) I also love my Ring of Wizardry, which doubled my First Level spells (thanks again, Joey.) I love First Level Spells.

I love Vancian casting.

I love the fact, that the one and only time, I cast Find Familiar, I got a Faerie Dragon.

There are, a few things, I regret. I never got an Imp familiar. I never cast Cacodemon. I never created a magic item. Strangely enough, I never created a new spell.

Maybe someday.

4 comments:

  1. I did a poll a while back and MU's were the most popular class among the 13 I'd listed with 25% of the vote. As a player, I've almost never played one, but now it's become my favorite over my old fav the thief (which got 15%)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. 15% is pretty respectable, out of 13 choices. Which class was at the bottom?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a poll going on over at The Frothy Friar, Magic-user is tied with Ranger for 1st with 20% of the votes.

    I love managing spells and finding a spell book in a dungeon. It was like treasure that only I get. I like that look on the other players faces when I cast something other than a damage spell and it works better then a fireball.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Ranger being high is an interesting result.

    ReplyDelete